Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huronpalm

Rhododendron Maximum in Western NY

HuronPalm
10 years ago

Was not sure where to post this, here or on the natives forum, but I figured that everyone here is ericaceous enough to chime in.

Does anyone know where to find some decent gatherings of Rhododendron Maximum (Rosebay) in western NY? Most range maps supposedly claim that they can be found well into Erie county. I know that there is a ton of dolomitic limestone up that way, but I imagine that the surface soil is often as acidic as most places in the Appalachian hinterlands. I am curious if anyone has seen them in NE OH or near Erie either, but I lived in Buffalo for a while and got all excited when I heard about wild Maximum being around the corner. I ask because not only I would love to see some, but also because any seed gathered from these fellows would be helpful in starting a few friends back here in Michigan.

A second question, then, would be if anyone could recommend a mail order nursery for Maximum or other wild types like Catawbiense (the species, not Album or Borsault or any other hybrid/selectivar). Half the websites which a search turns up sends me to a wholesale place or some site that has been down for a while now.

Comments (4)

Sponsored