Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redecoratingmom

Which is a better situation to plant azaleas...

redecoratingmom
12 years ago

I need you guys to help me with this one. I have decided that I want some Encore azaleas under a pine tree in my front yard. It is a mature sparsely branched pine. After doing some research there seems to be some conflicting opinions about whether or not this is a good idea. I know that pines and azaleas are happy companions yet when it comes to planting under a mature pine there are concerns about major competition for water and nutrients. Some "experts" say that pines are deeply rooted and it shouldn't be a problem yet others say that they are shallow rooted trees and it is going to be a major problem. Which is it?

I recently went to a local nursery and spoke to one of the workers and she feels that planting under a mature tree is not a good idea because of root competition and the hassle of getting them in ground. But said if I do it make sure you give them plenty of water the first year. Then she suggested that I plant the azaleas in pots and place them around the pine tree. Yet containers dry out more quickly than the ground and will take a lot of watering as well but I won't have the hassle of digging through the pine roots and such. I'm just tired of thinking about. Which is better guys, to plant under the mature pine or in containers. I just want healthy thriving plants and a beautiful garden.

Comments (3)

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

I would determine what type of tree you have so you can then determine if it is surface rooted or not. Most pine trees are not surface rooted so people like to plant azaleas near them. Needles falling on the azaleas create a hassle sometimes though.

You can also dig up small exploratory holes in the general area to see how many roots you encounter. The nurseries near you should be able to help determine what type of tree you have and help determine how old it is and how old it can get (ask for a Master Gardener or an expert in identifying pine trees). Show them height statistics, bark color, tree shape, needles' growth pattern, pine cones, etc. For more info, see below for a partial list:

http://www.treehelp.com/trees/pine/pine-types.asp

Make sure you can provide water in the chosen location, especially during the first year or two.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I grew several things, including a rhododendron and azalea, under an ancient massive limbed up (to allow light/sun on the ground below it) pine for many years. In my cool summer zone where its difficult not to grow azaleas and rhododendrons well :), while not ideal growing conditions, they did fine. Grew, slowly, and bloomed.

The soil will always be more dry there, not just the first year and you'll want to pay attention to that. Although I should add that my own pine had a south exposure so one of the drier places in my yard on its own. I think you'll find you will need to top dress with compost at least annually, and Spring and Fall may be better, keep a continuous supply of nutrients being returned to the soil, and will also help to conserve moisture while cooling the roots of the azaleas.

Surface roots shouldn't be an issue, take a shovel and look for planting pockets around the tree.

The perennials I chose for that area were many of the things that can often be a little wide spreading or aggressive for other garden soils without large tree competition - they behaved more subdued under the pine, so I know the tree was taking its share of water and nutrients as well as shedding some rainfall away from plantings directly under it.

The tree came down in an unusual wind storm (gusts of 100 mph+) in 2007, taking out a swath of landscaping in it's path before landing on my chimney and front corner of my house ;)

• redecoratingmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The tree is a loblolly pine about 20-25 feet tall. I've tried digging holes around it and I do encounter some roots. I can break the smaller ones with the shovel but there are larger ones and I don't want to harm the tree. I believe I can get the plants in the ground but I don't want to be on a fool's errand with this. I want them in ground but it means nothing if they fail to thrive.
    SN: what do you think about Encore azaleas? I've been looking around the forum and some are saying that they don't do as well if they are not planted in full sun. i love the idea of three season color but hate the thought of having poor blooms or scraggly looking plants. I'd rather go with another type if that is the case.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz