Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering for establishment

Posted by whynotsb z8a/8b GA (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 05 at 17:09

I'm kind of paranoid after planting some azaleas in the past few weeks.

Need some advice on best watering practices for establishment. I haven't seen anything definitive. I've read that frequent, light irrigations (1-2 gallons every 1-2 days for the first month or two) are best to help shrubs and small trees get established. I've also read to water when the top 3 inches of soil are dry. And I've also read that watering once a week is sufficient.

So I'm curious about what some of you have experienced, especially those in Zone 8 who grow in fairly sandy soil, under and around oak trees (evergreen live oaks, specifically).

Thanks a bunch for any responses, in advance.

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering for establishment

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 5, 05 at 20:37

Scott, the recommendations for watering azaleas are specific to azaleas...their surface rooting habit makes them a little different from many other shrubs and trees.

First, hopefully you've mulched to conserve moisture. Your azaleas will establish best with consistently moist (but never soggy) soil...after a year of good health they won't need such close attention. How much, how often depends on your soil type, wind, slope, temperatures so there is no formula that works. (Here in this cool, wet Z8, I wouldn't even think of having to water after 'watering in' when planting this time of year - my problem would be finding a few days where the ground was dry enough to spade)

So use your fingers, water when the soil begins to dry, remembering that your azaleas have a network of fine surface roots, use a mulch to keep the soil cool and moist, and don't necessarily count on rain under your tree canopy to take care of your watering needs.

o
RE: Watering for establishment

MorZ8 gave very good advice. After transplanting it is dangerous to let them dry out. However, over-watering is dangerous also. So don't water when they don't need it and do water when they do. That is why soil with good drainage and a good mulch are both important. They make keeping the right balance much easier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here