Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
char_35

Followup to myAzalea planting question in Sept.

char_35
13 years ago

In Sept. I was pulling my hair out with newly planted azaleas that were dying after 5 mo. I received some wonderful suggestions and encouragment from "morz8" and "Rhodyman", to name a few.

I ended up buying a couple of lg. Fashion Azaleas at the end of the season. They were almost giving them away. I had nothing to lose! Yep, they were root bound. I took a sharp bread knife to the botton and sides and cut away a good 1-2 inches of roots ( not the top of the ball). Then came the water hose. I hit it with water washing away a good portion of the dirt so that it looked a bit like a skeleton. Then planted it as directed on Hennings Rhody and Azalea pages. They are doing GREAT! New leaves, and buds and the pale leaves have greened up beautifully.

I wanted to let all those "faint of heart" to tackle azaleas, not to fear. They can take a lot handling and survive. The others that were threatening to "bite the dust", I broke up the root balls (not quite as severely as the Fashion's) and replanted them . They are showing new growth and blooms. I'm not uncrosssing my fingers yet, but I'm very encouraged. Thanks again for the suppport.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!