Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trouble growing R. macrosepalum...pls help!

Posted by madrone VancIsl BC (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 2, 09 at 23:36

I bought a Rhodo macrosepalum linearfolium two years ago. The mother plant has since bit the dust but I was able to get one cutting off of it once I noticed the main plant was not thriving. I'm babying it along but it is not looking all that great either. Does anyone have any secrets on growing this rhodo successfully? I haven't been able to find much information about this cultivar.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trouble growing R. macrosepalum...pls help!

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 4, 09 at 0:41

Maybe it would help if you could tell us what kind of symptoms of stress or decline you were seeing before/as you were losing the plant.

I'm not growing it but I'm seeing it more frequently in nurseries. There doesn't seem to be anything out of the normal growing conditions for rhododendron in caring for it, other than suggestions that it may be more sensitive to wind. Also hardy to approx 5-15F, you may have come close to the 15F last December - did you lose the parent plant over winter or find it failing during the growing season?

o
RE: Trouble growing R. macrosepalum...pls help!

The plant was dying back, branch by branch, in late fall. That's when I tool off three little cuttings and potted them up in the greenhouse. One took. The mother plant was located in a very sheltered area. There's no wind, and we certainly didn't get below about -10 C. (I think that's about +8 F) in the coldest part of the property. With the forest as a backdrop, there's a lot of biomass warming that area. Since all the other rhodos and azaleas in area survived unscathed, I'm just wondering if this specie is much harder to grow?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here