Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagancat

So bummed... so I'm off to LA

Pagancat
18 years ago

Well, the Red Cross decided that deploying people to the Hurricane affected areas wasn't a sensible thing to do at this time, so I'm not going. I am very disappointed - I was pretty jazzed about going.

So, as a consolation trip, I get to go to Los Angeles while my DH attends a developers conference. I've only been there once, briefly, about 20 years ago. I believe I've heard you guys talk about good botanical gardens, nurseries, et al there - suggestions, please? What else fun was there to do? I know it's a big city and there's probably tons, but my ignorance is complete. BTW, I'm not going to Disney, Knottsberry farm or the like - I'll be trotting around on my own, so....

Any and all info is greatly appreciated!

Comments (11)

• AzDesertRat
    18 years ago

Where are you going to be staying? It makes a difference as I lived there for 4 years. Near the beach or in the valley---things like that. I can probably help in that respect. I am actually going there tomorrow.

LMK and Enjoy your trip

• aguane
    18 years ago

PaganCat
    Sorry you can't follow your passion with the Red Cross. Surely there will be other opportunity.
    I recommend a visit to Huntington Gardens in San Marino near Pasadena as I remember. Closed on Mondays

Here is a link that might be useful: Arboretum at Huntington Gardens.

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

Too bad they didn't utilize your skills, you have such a flair for relating to people! They don't know what they are missing!!

I have been down at the Coliseum for the past 2.5 days, coordinating the installation of the MVD portable trailers, so we can give these poor people some temporary picture ID's and Driver Licenses. They can't collect their Social Security checks or insurance money or anything without ID. Today I coordinated the installation of the same set up down at the Tucson Convention Center, however I did not have to go there, as I had excellent technical support on site.

All the Evacuee's at the Coliseum are very upbeat and friendly, grateful for assistance. This morning everyone got new tennis shoes- was a sight to see!

Susie
    PS - lots of cool plant pic's expected from this journey!!

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

AZDR - yeah, looking at the itin, it's the Sheraton in Universal City, on Universal Blvd. DH has to be at the LA Convention center on Figureoa in L.A. proper. I have no concept as to how far or close those are to anything - guess I had better get a map.

Susie/ Auguane - Thanks - I also tried another link that Winter Plumage had sent me for the CDC, but it appears that they also have gotten everyone they need for the time being. That's okay, when I get back from LA if there's still a need downtown I'll help out there. And thanks for the reminder about Huntington - that's just what I was looking for.

Susie/ Birdlady - I'm so glad it was you behind the scenes there - the evacuees can count on one solid system where things will go right. I bet the tennies-for-all was great. Who did that, do you know? It's very cool for them to get some new stuff, too - I'm sure they're getting a lot of hand-me-downs that they're happy to recieve, but you just can't be happy if your feet hurt, IMHO.

• AzDesertRat
    18 years ago

You are actually pretty close (in LA terms) to a few places I was going to suggest. First, the King Tut exhibition is going on in the LA County Museum of Art. Being in LA, you should purchase your tickets in advance. More info is here. It is pretty close to the convention center from what I remember. A must see for you is the J Paul Getty Museum. Again, get tickets in advance. It's a little north of where the 405 and 10 meet--1/2 hour or so drive from where you are. More info here.

Of course, you are also right next to Universal Studios if you are that type. Hollyweird is also nearby should you have the urge. As for garden type stuff, Huntington gardens should be fairly close to you. More info here and you should know the Getty Museum also has an adjoining garden.

What else? The Walt Disney Concert Hall is a really cool building and always has something going on. It is downtown also. Old town Pasadena is also pretty cool and close. The La Brea Tar pits aren't too far either. Of course, if you get bored you can drive through Beverly Hills towards Santa Monica and go to the beach.

That's all off off of the top of my head. It depends on what you like to do.

Enjoy your trip--I will be there this weekend. I will see if I can remember any other stuff while I am there.

{{gwi:391610}}

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Excellent suggestions, thanks! I'll be online while there, so if you come up with anything else over the weekend, please do post it.

Thanks again-

• Kathleen W
    18 years ago

Armstrong Garden Centers Inc
    (949) 644-9510
    1500 E Coast Hwy
    Newport Beach, CA 92660

This place is at least a 3 hour tour - just a stunning nursery with so many beautiful orchids, gardens, succulents, collections of plants & gorgeous planters. I ran into 3 other people there photographing when I went last spring and the proprietors encourage it. Better than any mall and on a par with great botanical gardens. Sigh, wish I could go again right now since you've made me remember....

Have fun!

• usha
    18 years ago

pc,
    LA arboretum is not too far from huntington's. It is very huge and they have plant sales. When I was there a few weeks ago..they had a succulent show which was very nice as well.

• roo2000
    18 years ago

There's a beautiful garden in Thousand Oaks. I went there a couple of weekends ago. It used to be someone's property, and it was donated to the city when they passed away. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't remember what it was called.

• eileenaz
    18 years ago

If you get a chance, remember me to the La Brea Tar Pits! No, really- isn't that the most bizarre thing to be in the middle of a U.S. mega-city? Primordial ooze, pushing up skeletons of extinct animals every so often?

• grant_in_arizona
    18 years ago

Kathleen, is that particular Armstrong Nursery better than the others? I saw they have several in So Cal and I'm going to be in L.A. all next week so I want to hit the one you recommend if you think it's better than the other Armstrongs. If not, then I'll hit the Armstrong nursery that's close to my hotel.

I'll be there for work, but I'm adding Saturday to do some *serious* plant shopping--woohoo.

Take care,
    Grant