Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bucks_gw

Tree Huggers

bucks
18 years ago

I am not sure if this is allowed, but we are looking for people that would like to save a row of pecan trees from being cut down. We are circulating petitions in order to do this. The row is at 91st Ave and Van Buren and the city wishes to cut down some on the trees down now and all of them in the future if the road is widened to five lanes. It is a sad event to see these majestic beautiful trees destroyed. We only have until the end of December to do this. We need people to walk the streets of Tolleson to get signatures of registered voters.

Comments (5)

• eileenaz
    18 years ago

I wish you good luck- it really shouldn't be allowed to happen if it can be stopped.
    Failing that, would it be possible to have them moved? I don't know too much about moving mature trees...

• tomatofreak
    18 years ago

I wish you luck, too. The city sacrificed the landmark salt cedars at Chris Town for a @$&(*%#@# Walmart parking lot! Conservation is a joke here.

• Zill
    18 years ago

I also hope the required number of signatures is obtained. I have a great birding memory of those trees being filled with Yellow-Headed Blackbirds, like ornaments on a Christmas tree. So much of that area (including the spot containing a colony of Burrowing Owls on 91st Avenue between Lower Buckeye & Broadway) has been lost to the sprawl of tract homes. I know people need affordable housing, but I always give a mental cheer when I see in-fill construction.
    Zill

• tomatofreak
    18 years ago

How goes the effort to save the trees?

• bucks
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well I am frustrated because a bunch of people that said they were registered voters in the City of Tolleson were not so we threw out about ten % of the signatures. We are fighting a timetable here and may be too late. They will start to cut the trees in January and we need to have the petition turned in before that as they then have 15 working days to verify the names. Well this goes in to January. In the Arizona Republic last Saturday, the cit manager said he would not stop the project. That means once we turn in the petitions, we will have to spend more money and get a court injunction to stop the process. What we need is volunteers that are registered voters to take these petitions around this weekend and get as many signatures as possible. We are verifing the signatures as we speak, and as soon as we have enough, we will stop and turn them in. Our problem is that we just cannot get anyone to do it. Almost everyone we speak with signs it, but it takes time.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor