Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagancat

Miss you guys...

Pagancat
18 years ago

Good news or bad news first?

The good news - finally got a job, working downtown in a fairly large firm. I really like it and my co-workers and boss are really great.

The bad news? That's FORTY-Freakin'-hours a WEEK! Sheesh.

The good news? I was given (seriously, simply GIVEN) a beautiful, sweet tempered horse that I'm keeping two doors down. This is a dream I've had since I was a little girl. Guess it's never too late for dreams to come true!

The bad news.... Garden web -and gardening in general- have simply slid down the list of priorities - sleep has become much more important (especially after catching a *god* awful cold - welcome back to office life....)

Anyway, as I said, I miss you guys - don't forget about me, 'kay?

Comments (19)

• judy_b
    18 years ago

How could you ever be forgotten? We'll be here when you get a minute or two. Whatcha gonna do with your horse?

• tomatofreak
    18 years ago

Hey, PC, when it rains, it pours. Seems you got a shower or two! Tell us more about your job and your horse. (That's been a dream of mine for more years than I care to divulge, but so far, no horse.) I've loved the pictures you've shared of your garden. Hope you find ways to keep those pretty plants going. Good luck.

• roo2000
    18 years ago

Yeah, you're going to have to try way harder than that to get rid of us. :D

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

You just have to sneak in when you can, log on in the morning (while sipping first cup'o joe) and peruse the threads and post your wisdom and wit! That's what I seem to do most of the time anymore, (with the exception of the wisdom/wit part), since work has gotten the 'bit between the teeth' and is hauling a$$ towards the end of the year!

We will be here...

Susie

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Aw, Susie - you underestimate how much we love your responses.

And Roo, you KNOW I'm not trying to get rid of anyone - I just wish I could figure out a way to incorporate ya'll into my life better!

And Ms. Bee - now, silly, whatchoo think I'm going to do with my horse? Ride the shoes off of him, of course!

And oh, is he a sweetie. 12 years old, mostly red with a touch o'gold, a white blaze/nose and a few white speckles on his hindquarters - he's supposed to be a Snowflake Appaloosa, but here's betting that he also has some Quarter horse in him - he's pretty broad chested and has a big, powerful back side. I haven't taken him full out yet (he is awfully herd sour and hates to be out of sight of his buddies) but this upcoming 4 day weekend will give us the opportunity, for sure. Hope my in-laws don't mind me bringing him with for turkey-day.... >grinAs to the job - I work on the 29th floor of the US Bank building on First Ave in a really nice office (coffee bars, tea and hot chocolate supplied) with lots of bright light and an open floor plan. I've already been able to a park design (unheard of, but it was for a mall, so....)I've been tossed into the pot, head first. I'm quite happy!

But I still miss you guys. (*sniff*)

• judy_b
    18 years ago

Well Smartypants Kitty, I meant what kind of riding on your horse? Western Pleasure, Hunter, Dressage? etc. I used to do dressage. Where will you ride? Is your horsie at a boarding stable or a private facility?

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL - shows my ignorance. At this point it's somewhere between pleasure and dressage (at least my saddle is dressage - still have to look into it).

I keep hearing I'm not a "real" equestrienne until I've been thrown at least 3-4 times. Can't I just make it up in lessons?

• hawaiisam
    18 years ago

I am violently opposed to that "been thrown 3-4 times" philosophy.

I wanted a horse since I was 8 years old. Took me 40 years to get my wish but he sure is worth it. Hope yours will be too. : )

• judy_b
    18 years ago

LOL Sam! I'm with you!!! I fell off waaay too many times when I was riding. Yes, Pagan, it is a VERY good idea to do the lesson thing. A good teacher is key, though. If you find one that finds ways to get the horse to do stuff without arguing with him, that's a definite good thing. If it's also one that can help you find your balance and communicate with the horse in a non-argumentative way - that one's a keeper. :-) It doesn't matter what style of riding you choose, the basics are the same. You've got a good start with a dressage saddle. A saddle that fits the horse and fits you can help you find your own balance and stay out of the horse's way without blocking his urge to go forward. A saddle that doesn't fit, you and/or the horse, is a living he11.

• eileenaz
    18 years ago

I always figured that working full time was one of the main reasons for my not getting a horse- insufficient time for both. If you figure out a way to do that let me know, for crying out loud!!

Oh- by the way, congratulations on your job and horse!

• CissyCat
    18 years ago

PC~
    Congrats on the job and the horse! You will be successful and have tons of fun with both.
    We had horses for many years and I still miss having them. They are great companions and a lot of fun, but for us it came down to a choice of both affording and having the time for the kids, full time jobs and all the other garbage life offers, and well we decided to keep the kids...
    The job sounds like something right up your alley, please keep us posted as to how you are doing.
    I know I have enjoyed your pictures, postings (LOL, can't help myself!) great sense of humor, and sage advice, and plan to continue to in the future; so you'll just have to take Susie's advice and get up a little earlier and spend some time with us before you start each day...problem solved!

Trudi :0)

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

Hey! I was just thinking I haven't seen much of you lately :( I figured you were out traveling in some exotic place ;) Congrats on EVERYTHING! So....are you doing landscape architecture? What exactly are you doing? LOL!

• Zill
    18 years ago

PC:

I don't know anything about horses except they need a lot of care and commitment. I DO know how hard it can get to do 40, plus "house" things, and still be able to spare mental & physical energy for anything else.

I've always enjoyed your posts and have come to rely on your wise answers to my dumb garden questions. And I'll certainly miss your humor. Please try to find a scrap of time for us occasionally. :-)

The most important thing, however, is your beautiful garden. How sad for you if you cannot spend the time there that you formerly did and that it deserves.

I also know the importance of priorities, and how exciting and satisfying your new career will be.

Think of us now and then, and check in to the forum when you can.

Zill

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, here's the girl-and-her-horse shot. Hank and me.

{{gwi:391887}}

More soon.

• tomatofreak
    18 years ago

Oh, my goodness; he looks like my childhood horse! Give him a smooch for me. He's sooooooooooo handsome.

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

Ahhhhh!

• roo2000
    18 years ago

Awwwwwww!

• Pagancat
    Original Author
    18 years ago

it's true, he's eye-candy, for sure. No bias, or anything...

• Kathleen W
    18 years ago

PC! How cool is this news!!! Well it's not that new but it is to me as I haven't been around the past few months.

Big congrats on the job - sounds like a great one. And congrats on Hank too. Isn't it wonderful to have the horsie dream come true finally? I also got one as an adult, still have her as a matter of fact. Only now she's a pasture ornament living out her senior years out back. It's great your Hank is so close - commuting to the horse is not so much fun.

Judy was right about the lessons and all the rest too. I also rode dressage and I know a good trainer near 36th St and Shea that works with beginners, kids and adults. Very low pressure fun and happy place, super nice woman and a good vibe in her barn. She has school horses you could ride or maybe you could trailer there or even put Hank there for a few months. I know it's not right next door but it's the closest I can think of at the moment that I would recommend. I don't ride anymore but I'm still very involved in the dressage community as a photographer, so I know just about everyone in town who teaches and trains. Let me know if you want contact info.

Your garden will be fine. You'll just focus it on more self sufficient plants so you have more time for working and riding. Relish your riding time, it is such a special bond to build with a horse, a wonderful form of exercise, a great way to build your sense of balance and accomplishment and a great stress reliever after working all day. I rode most when I had a high stress job in the corporate jungle and many times I rode when it was almost dark out since it was my main activity after work.

Wishing you joy with work and horse :)