Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HAVE: Multiplying Onions

Posted by twosunsaz z9 AZ (My Page) on
Tue, May 19, 09 at 14:15

I have large quantities of I'itoi and Catawissa multiplying onions to trade.

For those unfamiliar with them ,here is a little info :

The I'itoi are a mild flavored, scallion type bunching onion which thrives in the Southwest. One plants divides into 40-100 plants when properly grown! It was introduced to the Native American Tribes of Southern Az and Northern Mexico by the Spaniards in the 1600's.Plant with the monsoon rains thru February. Harvest when pencil diameter + or -. Very prolific here in South Central Az and perennial. My original source was Native Seed Search of Tucson Az, back in the early 90's

The Catawissas are a type of Egyptian Walking Onion with 2 tiers of Topsets on their scapes instead of 1. They are a perennial scallion type Topsetting, bunching onion, Stronger flavored and not quite as prolific. As the growing topsets get heavier the scape(stalk)bends down ,allowing the topsets to contact the soil where they take root,grow ,and thus the plant is said to 'WALK'.Each topset can also be planted where desired to start a new plant. My original stock came from Massachusetts, but they seem to be growing very well here.

If interested in a trade or would like more info, contact me. I can make small (25 pcs) or large (50+) trades for other alliums or please look at my trade list.

~ Scott ~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Multiplying Onions

I would be interested in some of your onions. I have a lot of different seeds mostly veggies but some flower. If interested please e-mail me @ yupikeskimo2002@yahoo.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Arizona are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here