Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall plant/seed/cutting swap

Posted by hawaiisam z9 PHX (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 05 at 1:40

When I was a little girl we used to have parties where we would swap doll clothes etc. that we didn't love anymore. What about a plant swap in the fall?

I have some plants that were gifts and also some seedlings that are perfectly wonderful but I just don't love them as much as I ought. Someone else may be thrilled to have them where I just take care of them.

For example, I have a lovely stapelia that is just not my favorite and is stuck at the edge of the patio. I don't deny it water etc. but I certainly don't love it as much as someone else might.

I also have several red yucca seedlings and some yellow yucca seeds.

Anyone interested in a get together to swap? I'm not suggesting a party because a party would require someone to fix up their house and yard to the point where visitors are acceptable. sam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall plant/seed/cutting swap

That would be lots of fun. Do you have any ideas as to where we might have it? A park or something centrally located?
If we set a date now, people can begin eyeing plants and seeds and earmarking anything that they would want to bring to trade.

I 'rescued' about 40 pups from an Agave vilmoriniana - Octopus Agave that need homes. Those can go right now!

Susie

o

I have about 50 penstemons which seeded themselves and came up last fall. Would love to attend a swap.

James

o

Me, too. Say around October sometime? Surely this heat can't last that long? A park might be fun and everyone could bring their own tables, quilts, whatever to put plants on. Would a park somewhere in central Phx be a good compromise for location? I know we're spread out all over...

o

I'm just starting out with gardening and I'm not sure I have anything worthy to swap yet. Do you have any suggestion how I could still participate?

Otherwise I'll just sulk all day while you're having fun :(

o

DesertHills, no need to bring anything, there is always PLENTY of stuff! Sounds like you NEED to be there!

o

Thanks GT! That made me feel a lot better.

Maybe brownies can be traded too? =)

o

DEFINATELY BROWNIES!

o

Ha - like that was even a Question!!! Puh-leaze!

I have become very fond of Steele-Indian School park - Indian School and Central. Big place, big lawn, lots of room, great view of Camelback over the little lake, neat circular sunken garden, some history.... is that central enough?

You can bring other things, too - seeds, garden 'stuff' - we had a gardening 'white elephant' swap a few years ago that was a real hoot - remember those carved sticks that Judy_B brought, quite the hot item! (I wonder if my daucschund (sp?) vodka carafe & shot mugs ever made it up to e-bay.... not too garden-y, now that I think of it....) Anyway, my point is that there is more than plants that can be shared.

o

Sounds like a lot of fun. PC, I remember the great time we had with the "White Elephant" swap. Jon? You can tell us about the great gift you got!

I don't know if there is any way to tie this idea into the Fall Festival that I just posted in the "Conversation Area"?

Maybe a lead in to a GW November party?

o

Plants and BROWNIES!!!!!

Count ME in!

Lynn

o

• Posted by usha z8AZ,Nscottsdal (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 28, 05 at 0:03

sam,
I would love to attend. I have medicinal aloe pups and agave pups. Will try to root some of my other plants as well.

o

Yeah, I'll try to get cuttings, etc. of anything that is still alive next month... *sigh*....

Jim, I think your idea is a lovely one, but don't you think it might be good to spread it out just a little? So we don't have to decide between hanging out and shopping?

o

Wonderful idea! Every time I full the dumpster with aloe pups I think someone might want them. When I see them at the desert botanical Gardens sale for five dollars a gallon pot I feel guilty about the waste. The same goes for brittle bush; I've always thought of it as a weed.
---------July

o

Sounds interesting to me to if its on a weekend.
I'm sure I can find something to swap.

Happy Gardening,
Gemfire

o

me, me, me!!! (with my hand raised here) I would love to do this too. In fact during my watering and treks around the yard just this week, I was thinking I need to offer medicinal aloes (perhaps hundreds!) and MANY prickly pear varieties that are just way overgrown. I also feel really bad about dumping so many things in the trash. And I have a few plants that could go to new homes and probably do better than they do with me as just I don't love them enough (that was a great way to put that). Sam, this is a great idea. Now I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the weekend that is picked won't be one where I have to work.

And Susie, I am dying for one of those octopus agave - so distinctive!

A suggestion: choose a park that has a good parking area so we don't need to drag the plants out of the vehicles to the actual meeting spot. I know I am NOT dragging those dang PRICKLY prickly pears anywhere once they are in my truck bed. Anything that doesn't get taken will go straight into the trash later via a shovel. A shaded parking area would be really great -- maybe in an older park?

o

So Pagancat, does your park have a shaded parking area as Kathleen suggested? If it does, it sounds perfect. sam

o

It does have some shaded Ramadas, but I can't remember how big they are, and they are definitely not in the parking area. However, I know Jim has a pop-up shade structure, perhaps some other folks do, too - I can check into making sure that there's no one else having a parade or anything that day, when we come a little closer to having a date in mind. If we do it early morning on a weekend, would people be interested? Or late afternoon? I'm just thinking about the heat. It's tough in October, seems like there's things going on every weekend then, but Sept. can still be pretty warm. What does everyone think? Anyone else in?

o

I would vote for morning. Cooler and people could still salvage some weekend time for family and other friends etc. Afternoons are always more difficult for me as something always needs my attention in the morning and I end up never making it to the event at all.

I was thinking of September only because it seems some of our members are getting antsy and want to plant SOMETHING! SOON! September would only be one more month away.

What do the rest of you think?

o

If my plants keep dying of the heat at the current rate, I'll have plenty of space to put new stuff! I know October is busy, but my memories of September are that it's still hot as the dickens. Maybe mid to late September and early morning? And on grass? I'm not for the parking lot thing - too hot. We could always back the trucks up so people can 'shop' from the grassy side. How about a winter month swap meet, too? I'm trying to remember what it was like to be cold...

o

One of the reasons I suggested a swap was to find a home for my stapelia. Stapelia are not my favorite. Today I went to the Cactus & Succulent Society meeting where someone gave away free stapelia cuttings. Did I mention I don't care for stapelia? So I only came home with three.

What is wrong with me? It is a sickness, isn't it? sam

o

The first step is to admit that you have a problem....

At least you're in good company!!!

o

That's hilarious!

o

September is WAY too hot :( I vote for mid-October.

o

lol sam!
PC, the Steele Indian School Park is nice! I found their website and it mentioned 4 ramadas, one can accomodate up to 100 people, the other three up to 40. There's no fee to reserve, first come first serve.

o

It looks like people are leaning towards October as the best month. The Desert Botanical Garden Fall Plant Sale is the weekend of 10/7-10/9 and Fall Festival 2005 is 10/22. I don't know if you want to synchronize with these other events or avoid them. sam

o

I have a few orchids that I do love, however I don't think love me. I would be thrilled if any one could give them a good home!

o

I just took about 15 cuttings from My Angels Trumpet, so I will have rooted Angels by then :) I may also have a un-named vine with beautiful blue flowers ;)

o

I for one would prefer you to have it on Oct 1st that is the Saturday before the Desert Botanical Garden plant sale. That way I could decide what to buy at the DBG.
---------July

o

HI! I also would love to come and will be bringing brownies too,lol as I am a " newbie"
Thanks so much!!
Lisa

o

OK. How about Saturday, October 1st? Indian School Park. 8:00am to 12:00pm. I have one pop up, and may be able to borrow a couple more. We can reserve a ramada also. I think ramada number four would be good, holds 40 people. See the map attached. Bring plants, seeds, food, and anything you want to get rid of. Sounds like fun! Anyone interested in helping to organize this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian School Park Ramada

o

Sounds like fun to me!

o

Thanks Pagancat and Jimdaz for the location idea. It sounds great! Count me in to help. Also to carpool. sam

o

I've been talking to the park manager, Debbie. There have been events scheduled every weekend from mid-September throughout Christmas. Can we hold off on making a hard and fast date until I can check the schedule out with her? I like the idea of the first, but I hate the idea of having to fight a crowd for parking or space if there's a conflict. I think most events don't start until later in the day/ afternoon, so we should be okay, but I'd just as soon check.

It would also help if I could give an approximate number of folks attending - nothing's hard and fast, but if you could put your name forward if you're interested, I'd sure appreciate it.

o

1. Sam

o

1. Sam
2. Jim (2)

I think the most important thing right now is to set the date. Location may change, but a firm date keeps the momentum going, and we all can mark our calendars. Hey, worst case scenario, I block my cul-de-sac off, and we do the exchange in my front yard! PC - let us know what the folks say about Indian School Park. I would tell them 40 people total.

o

1. Sam
2. Jim (2)
3. July (2)

I'm interested in helping to organize this.
--------July

o

Count me in and call on me for whatever help you need - organizing, calling, e-mailing, making fliers, etc.

o

I will be there. Not sure yet what I will bring. Will people be interested in pond plants and frost sensitive items in October? I have some baby popcorn cassias, definitely those.

Lynn

o

I know that some people (me included) are wondering what to bring - especially if we are relatively new to gardening and are still in that "Gee, I bought a hanging basket of petunias in August and watered it at least once a week so why did it die?" stage.

Still I think there are other things we could offer. All those black plastic nursery pots from our failures, books and magazines, banana bread grown from our very own bananas (or Safeways), hot pepper jelly grown from our very own peppers (or not), crafts, an eagerness to learn and a passion for plants etc.

As Pagancat said, not everything has to be gardening stuff. The main thing is to show up. I am excited because I missed the garden parties and am hoping for another shot at meeting people I feel I already know but have never met. sam

o

Oh! I make THE best banana bread- it's like the only thing I cook well. And I'm planning to dig up some of my Gladiola weeds for Nancy, I could bring a bunch of those.

Lynn

o

I'll be there!

o

azreno, bring the BANANA BREAD!!!!

Count me in! This is exciting! Maybe even garden decor items that we no longer want or never wanted in the first place-? I can pot up some tiny little sweet acacia, African sumac and *mulberry* trees.

Sam, if you want some new doll clothes, I'll see what I can do.

o

Tell me when and where and I'll drive up from Tucson!

o

Shew, I lost count.
1. Sam
2. Jim(2)
4. July (2)
6. Tommy
7. Lynn
8. Stephanie (maybe carpool with Detrick, Eileen and any other Tucsonians that could be interested?)
9. Loreen
10. Barb
11. Sheryl

Eva? Lisa? Hulfers? More?

o

Duh! (As long as it isn't the same weekend as my walk. So far so good. :) ) I don't know what I'm going to bring though... we'll see what survives. And if nothing survives, I'll bring food. :)

o

put me down, Oct 1 is perfect!

o

PC put me down too and Susie and Usha I think from their prior posts. Unless I end up with work that day, I'll be there with LOTS of cactus slips, some succulents and a bunch of other stuff. Probably my glad bulbs and some volunteers and seeds from around the yard of various things and a couple house plants that have been neglected and just hanging on for too long and need someone to really love them better than me.

I would love to try your pepper jelly, sam :) and your banana bread, lynn :). And I'd love to swap for some different cacti, succulent and xeriscape/native type plants, oh, and pond plants too. Hopefully we'll have a 2nd and maybe a 3rd pond by then....

o

I'll be there...with whatever is still alive and unloved...probably cactus at least...
Sharon

o

Count me in! I've been going around the house and found seed packets, collection of native seeds, 2 clear glass vases, enthusiasm to meet you all and learn... and of course, brownies!

o

i wanna go! hey stephanie, do you need any company?

detrick

o

PC, me too (plus DH)!!

o

I've got a minivan, so any of you Tucson folks who want a ride, just email me. :-)

o

COUNT ME IN.. Detrick. check your mail for my phone #..please

o

I'll be there, probably with DH. Should have some things to share and somethings to eat!

Susie

o

Susie, please bring your salsa recipe! I didn't get it copied before it disappeared from the forum. And Joe (pepe85323) makes the best hot pepper jelly. Hope he has some left to bring. Maybe this should be renamed the Fall Food & Plant Fest. sam

o

So, I stopped by the park manager's office yesterday, and of course she wasn't there. I did find out that there's a gathering for a Pagan festival (apropos!) but there wasn't any times or places, so I'll keep on it. But from that, I'm betting we'll be fine.....

o
RE: Fall plant/seed/cutting swap....

Go take a look for info on the conversations page....

o

Sounds like great fun even to newbies like me. If I can help, let me know. I want to go but also may have to bring food or a house plant or two

o

Thanks to Jim I "borrowed" these ideas from another state which had a similar party.

Just a few ideas of items you can bring to the plant swap ....

Potted plants, cuttings, rooted cuttings,bulbs,rhizomes, seeds, garden books, crafts, gourds, garden art, rocks or driftwood for the garden, hand milled soaps, herbal items, etc.

Anything to grow or that can be used in the garden, or is related to items you grow. I have a friend who is bringing broken pottery from their pottery business to trade for plants.

Have the bottom to a birdbath but not the top ? bring it...I'd trade for it.

You can sow seeds now and bring your seedlings, start cuttings to root now, or right before the swap dig up divisions of plants to bring. I collect plastic pots year round and plant divisions in them early spring so they can get rooted. I also have been known to bring cuttings, just stuck in a mason jar full of water.

You will want to bring items such as papertowels to wrap cuttings in, a marker to mark your items, some name tape or something to mark what you're giving away (or have name tags stuck in each pot).

Bring boxes to put your plants in to take home, paper bags, baggies, anything you can think of to make the transporting of your new babies easier on you and them.
You will be amazed at the variety of the plants and other items that you will see at this swap.

No plants or other items may be sold, the swap is for trade ONLY.

Also, while you are welcome to come to the swap to just hang out and meet folks, try and bring things to trade so you won't feel left out.

Bring......chairs to sit in
Bring......Hats or umbrellas if you're sensitive to sitting out in the sun
Bring......tables for your plants
Bring......Bags, labels, pins, markers
Bring......A bucket to put water in to transport more tender plants home

o

I would love to come if my husband or my friend will drive me.
I love all my plants and it is hard to say good bye but I
promise I will try.
I should be able to bring something to exchange or give away.
Let me know when and where.

o

Rodica, we'll post more once the date gets a little closer. Keep your plants, but take some cuttings and start them for us!

o

Hi Pagancat

I will try to get as many cuttings as I can. I have lots
of seedlings growing in my flowerbeds and in the lawn.
I am looking forward to October, now not just for the wheather.

Rodica

o

I will attempt to be there too. Do not forget about the

Master Gardeners' Plant sale in october also
October 22
Workshops and activities for everyone, from seasoned gardeners to desert gardening newcomers to young gardeners in the making. Free. Metro Tech High School, Phoenix.

o

Count me in, but I work weekend mornings! I can get there soon after noot, I think. hawaiisam, great suggestions!

o

Oh, poop.
My grandson's birthday party has been scheduled for
Oct. 1st...of course, that's his birthday...lol...
I may not make it, sob..
Maybe I can come really early....
Oh dear, oh dear...
I am SO not happy!!!

Sharon, wringing her hands and moaning softly..

o

I am coming too. Please add my name to the list. I will bring some food and seeds to seeds. Can someone give me a ride? I live in the east valley (Chandler and Rural to be precise).

o

• Posted by usha z8AZ,Nscottsdal (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 15, 05 at 19:36

Hi Radhika,
I can give you a ride if you wish!!
usha

o

Usha,

Thanks! I will take you up on that offer.

Radhika

o

Hi Guys,
I haven't looked at the forum for quite some time, got too
upset watching stuff die this summer from the heat. Love the idea of a swap, I have lots of pots and stuff. I will be there. Is it for sure at the Indian School park? What time does it start? Looking forward to meeting you all!
Amy

o

My friend from work may be comming with the two barrels that won't fit in my truck to trade for some cactus for his yard.He has everything from what I have to trade already so he'll be looking for other stuff. Here's a preview of whats on the way. they are treated and potted for rooting.
p.s. I'm not sure the "old man cactus" in the back will be there... I think I have a spot in my yard...

Here is a link that might be useful: Need New Homes

o

Hey you guys - don't forget to post on the RSVP Oct 1st thread on the main forum so Jim knows you're coming, too - I had forgot all about this thread!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Arizona are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here