Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawaiisam

Fall plant/seed/cutting swap

hawaiisam
18 years ago

When I was a little girl we used to have parties where we would swap doll clothes etc. that we didn't love anymore. What about a plant swap in the fall?

I have some plants that were gifts and also some seedlings that are perfectly wonderful but I just don't love them as much as I ought. Someone else may be thrilled to have them where I just take care of them.

For example, I have a lovely stapelia that is just not my favorite and is stuck at the edge of the patio. I don't deny it water etc. but I certainly don't love it as much as someone else might.

I also have several red yucca seedlings and some yellow yucca seeds.

Anyone interested in a get together to swap? I'm not suggesting a party because a party would require someone to fix up their house and yard to the point where visitors are acceptable. sam

Comments (71)

• User
    18 years ago

That's hilarious!

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

September is WAY too hot :( I vote for mid-October.

• DesertHills
    18 years ago

lol sam!
    PC, the Steele Indian School Park is nice! I found their website and it mentioned 4 ramadas, one can accomodate up to 100 people, the other three up to 40. There's no fee to reserve, first come first serve.

• hawaiisam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It looks like people are leaning towards October as the best month. The Desert Botanical Garden Fall Plant Sale is the weekend of 10/7-10/9 and Fall Festival 2005 is 10/22. I don't know if you want to synchronize with these other events or avoid them. sam

• hulfers
    18 years ago

I have a few orchids that I do love, however I don't think love me. I would be thrilled if any one could give them a good home!

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

I just took about 15 cuttings from My Angels Trumpet, so I will have rooted Angels by then :) I may also have a un-named vine with beautiful blue flowers ;)

• sculptress
    18 years ago

I for one would prefer you to have it on Oct 1st that is the Saturday before the Desert Botanical Garden plant sale. That way I could decide what to buy at the DBG.
    ---------July

• teacherlisa
    18 years ago

HI! I also would love to come and will be bringing brownies too,lol as I am a " newbie"
    Thanks so much!!
    Lisa

• jimdaz
    18 years ago

OK. How about Saturday, October 1st? Indian School Park. 8:00am to 12:00pm. I have one pop up, and may be able to borrow a couple more. We can reserve a ramada also. I think ramada number four would be good, holds 40 people. See the map attached. Bring plants, seeds, food, and anything you want to get rid of. Sounds like fun! Anyone interested in helping to organize this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian School Park Ramada

• roo2000
    18 years ago

Sounds like fun to me!

• hawaiisam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Pagancat and Jimdaz for the location idea. It sounds great! Count me in to help. Also to carpool. sam

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

I've been talking to the park manager, Debbie. There have been events scheduled every weekend from mid-September throughout Christmas. Can we hold off on making a hard and fast date until I can check the schedule out with her? I like the idea of the first, but I hate the idea of having to fight a crowd for parking or space if there's a conflict. I think most events don't start until later in the day/ afternoon, so we should be okay, but I'd just as soon check.

It would also help if I could give an approximate number of folks attending - nothing's hard and fast, but if you could put your name forward if you're interested, I'd sure appreciate it.

• hawaiisam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

1. Sam

• jimdaz
    18 years ago

1. Sam
    2. Jim (2)

I think the most important thing right now is to set the date. Location may change, but a firm date keeps the momentum going, and we all can mark our calendars. Hey, worst case scenario, I block my cul-de-sac off, and we do the exchange in my front yard! PC - let us know what the folks say about Indian School Park. I would tell them 40 people total.

• sculptress
    18 years ago

1. Sam
    2. Jim (2)
    3. July (2)

I'm interested in helping to organize this.
    --------July

• tomatofreak
    18 years ago

Count me in and call on me for whatever help you need - organizing, calling, e-mailing, making fliers, etc.

• User
    18 years ago

I will be there. Not sure yet what I will bring. Will people be interested in pond plants and frost sensitive items in October? I have some baby popcorn cassias, definitely those.

Lynn

• hawaiisam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I know that some people (me included) are wondering what to bring - especially if we are relatively new to gardening and are still in that "Gee, I bought a hanging basket of petunias in August and watered it at least once a week so why did it die?" stage.

Still I think there are other things we could offer. All those black plastic nursery pots from our failures, books and magazines, banana bread grown from our very own bananas (or Safeways), hot pepper jelly grown from our very own peppers (or not), crafts, an eagerness to learn and a passion for plants etc.

As Pagancat said, not everything has to be gardening stuff. The main thing is to show up. I am excited because I missed the garden parties and am hoping for another shot at meeting people I feel I already know but have never met. sam

• User
    18 years ago

Oh! I make THE best banana bread- it's like the only thing I cook well. And I'm planning to dig up some of my Gladiola weeds for Nancy, I could bring a bunch of those.

Lynn

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

I'll be there!

• winter_plumage_AZ
    18 years ago

azreno, bring the BANANA BREAD!!!!

Count me in! This is exciting! Maybe even garden decor items that we no longer want or never wanted in the first place-? I can pot up some tiny little sweet acacia, African sumac and *mulberry* trees.

Sam, if you want some new doll clothes, I'll see what I can do.

• aztransplant
    18 years ago

Tell me when and where and I'll drive up from Tucson!

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Shew, I lost count.
    1. Sam
    2. Jim(2)
    4. July (2)
    6. Tommy
    7. Lynn
    8. Stephanie (maybe carpool with Detrick, Eileen and any other Tucsonians that could be interested?)
    9. Loreen

1. Barb
    2. Sheryl

Eva? Lisa? Hulfers? More?

• roo2000
    18 years ago

Duh! (As long as it isn't the same weekend as my walk. So far so good. :) ) I don't know what I'm going to bring though... we'll see what survives. And if nothing survives, I'll bring food. :)

• teacherlisa
    18 years ago

put me down, Oct 1 is perfect!

• Kathleen W
    18 years ago

PC put me down too and Susie and Usha I think from their prior posts. Unless I end up with work that day, I'll be there with LOTS of cactus slips, some succulents and a bunch of other stuff. Probably my glad bulbs and some volunteers and seeds from around the yard of various things and a couple house plants that have been neglected and just hanging on for too long and need someone to really love them better than me.

I would love to try your pepper jelly, sam :) and your banana bread, lynn :). And I'd love to swap for some different cacti, succulent and xeriscape/native type plants, oh, and pond plants too. Hopefully we'll have a 2nd and maybe a 3rd pond by then....

• lotsaplants
    18 years ago

I'll be there...with whatever is still alive and unloved...probably cactus at least...
    Sharon

• DesertHills
    18 years ago

Count me in! I've been going around the house and found seed packets, collection of native seeds, 2 clear glass vases, enthusiasm to meet you all and learn... and of course, brownies!

• magnetogram
    18 years ago

i wanna go! hey stephanie, do you need any company?

detrick

• gardengrown
    18 years ago

PC, me too (plus DH)!!

• aztransplant
    18 years ago

I've got a minivan, so any of you Tucson folks who want a ride, just email me. :-)

• flowers_plz
    18 years ago

COUNT ME IN.. Detrick. check your mail for my phone #..please

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

I'll be there, probably with DH. Should have some things to share and somethings to eat!

Susie

• hawaiisam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Susie, please bring your salsa recipe! I didn't get it copied before it disappeared from the forum. And Joe (pepe85323) makes the best hot pepper jelly. Hope he has some left to bring. Maybe this should be renamed the Fall Food & Plant Fest. sam

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

So, I stopped by the park manager's office yesterday, and of course she wasn't there. I did find out that there's a gathering for a Pagan festival (apropos!) but there wasn't any times or places, so I'll keep on it. But from that, I'm betting we'll be fine.....

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Go take a look for info on the conversations page....

• redangel
    18 years ago

Sounds like great fun even to newbies like me. If I can help, let me know. I want to go but also may have to bring food or a house plant or two

• hawaiisam
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to Jim I "borrowed" these ideas from another state which had a similar party.

Just a few ideas of items you can bring to the plant swap ....

Potted plants, cuttings, rooted cuttings,bulbs,rhizomes, seeds, garden books, crafts, gourds, garden art, rocks or driftwood for the garden, hand milled soaps, herbal items, etc.

Anything to grow or that can be used in the garden, or is related to items you grow. I have a friend who is bringing broken pottery from their pottery business to trade for plants.

Have the bottom to a birdbath but not the top ? bring it...I'd trade for it.

You can sow seeds now and bring your seedlings, start cuttings to root now, or right before the swap dig up divisions of plants to bring. I collect plastic pots year round and plant divisions in them early spring so they can get rooted. I also have been known to bring cuttings, just stuck in a mason jar full of water.

You will want to bring items such as papertowels to wrap cuttings in, a marker to mark your items, some name tape or something to mark what you're giving away (or have name tags stuck in each pot).

Bring boxes to put your plants in to take home, paper bags, baggies, anything you can think of to make the transporting of your new babies easier on you and them.
    You will be amazed at the variety of the plants and other items that you will see at this swap.

No plants or other items may be sold, the swap is for trade ONLY.

Also, while you are welcome to come to the swap to just hang out and meet folks, try and bring things to trade so you won't feel left out.

Bring......chairs to sit in
    Bring......Hats or umbrellas if you're sensitive to sitting out in the sun
    Bring......tables for your plants
    Bring......Bags, labels, pins, markers
    Bring......A bucket to put water in to transport more tender plants home

• RODICA
    18 years ago

I would love to come if my husband or my friend will drive me.
    I love all my plants and it is hard to say good bye but I
    promise I will try.
    I should be able to bring something to exchange or give away.
    Let me know when and where.

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Rodica, we'll post more once the date gets a little closer. Keep your plants, but take some cuttings and start them for us!

• RODICA
    18 years ago

Hi Pagancat

I will try to get as many cuttings as I can. I have lots
    of seedlings growing in my flowerbeds and in the lawn.
    I am looking forward to October, now not just for the wheather.

Rodica

• GardenHits
    18 years ago

I will attempt to be there too. Do not forget about the

Master Gardeners' Plant sale in october also
    October 22
    Workshops and activities for everyone, from seasoned gardeners to desert gardening newcomers to young gardeners in the making. Free. Metro Tech High School, Phoenix.

• sisterhorse
    18 years ago

Count me in, but I work weekend mornings! I can get there soon after noot, I think. hawaiisam, great suggestions!

• lotsaplants
    18 years ago

Oh, poop.
    My grandson's birthday party has been scheduled for
    Oct. 1st...of course, that's his birthday...lol...
    I may not make it, sob..
    Maybe I can come really early....
    Oh dear, oh dear...
    I am SO not happy!!!

Sharon, wringing her hands and moaning softly..

• paperwhite
    18 years ago

I am coming too. Please add my name to the list. I will bring some food and seeds to seeds. Can someone give me a ride? I live in the east valley (Chandler and Rural to be precise).

• usha
    18 years ago

Hi Radhika,
    I can give you a ride if you wish!!
    usha

• paperwhite
    18 years ago

Usha,

Thanks! I will take you up on that offer.

Radhika

• amycramer
    18 years ago

Hi Guys,
    I haven't looked at the forum for quite some time, got too
    upset watching stuff die this summer from the heat. Love the idea of a swap, I have lots of pots and stuff. I will be there. Is it for sure at the Indian School park? What time does it start? Looking forward to meeting you all!
    Amy

• jkochan
    18 years ago

My friend from work may be comming with the two barrels that won't fit in my truck to trade for some cactus for his yard.He has everything from what I have to trade already so he'll be looking for other stuff. Here's a preview of whats on the way. they are treated and potted for rooting.
    p.s. I'm not sure the "old man cactus" in the back will be there... I think I have a spot in my yard...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:392149}}

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Hey you guys - don't forget to post on the RSVP Oct 1st thread on the main forum so Jim knows you're coming, too - I had forgot all about this thread!

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz