Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zill_gw

Plumeria Picture

Zill
18 years ago

I'm so excited it bloomed! It was just bare sticks when it was planted at the end of March. I expected to wait a year for flowers.

Zill

Image link:

Comments (14)

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

WOW I am impressed. I had to wait a year, but this year should be a good one at my house!

Susie

• AzDesertRat
    18 years ago

And what does it smell like. Mine have smelled from anything from gardenias to cinammon and even rosish (is that a word). And of course I had the oddball which had no smell at all.

• desertdi
    18 years ago

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that mine will bloom this year too. I planted it in the ground in April after it had spent two years in a pot close to death several times. It looks real healthy now so maybe...

DD

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

Just Gorgeous! The one Sam gave me looks like it will bloom in the next week or 2 Wooooo Hoooo!

• tomatofreak
    18 years ago

Geez, and to think I was all excited because the 'sticks' I potted *last fall* just sprouted a few tiny leaves. Well, this is motivational at least, so I'll keep hoping for a full-grown plant. ;-)

• Zill
    Original Author
    18 years ago

May everyone's plummies thrive, bloom, and have a HAPPY SUMMER! I bought this one potted, so it may have had a bit of a head start when planted. But I'm still amazed nothing's gone wrong. :-)

Had the opportunity to smell many Singapore whites in Hawaii, and it's not like that. This one (a Dwarf Pink Singapore) is rather sweet-tart -- like a lemon bar? Like to plant a lot more varieties! A collection of scents...may have to rip out the agaves (just kidding, DH would kill).

I would be really interested to see pictures of everyone's Plumerias as they bloom this year. And also some advice on winter protection for in ground plants in Phoenix.

Thank you.

Zill

• Zill
    Original Author
    18 years ago

tomatofreak:
    This was just sticks too, but they all had green "wet tips" and were ready to take off. I just supplied the ground and the water.
    Zill

• ddiverblue
    18 years ago

Love your plumie! I'm waiting anxiously for mine to bloom. I have 5 that I rooted in water and then potted up. They rooted well in the water because they were on top of my dryer. :) They all have inflo's coming. 3 have leaves and the others have them coming. I'm fighting leafhoppers right now. I've been handpicking them off the plumies. I'll post pics when they bloom.

• Zill
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ddiverblue:
    Good luck with your plummies! They sound like the're really doing well and, unlike me, you can take credit for their rooting. I'm picking leafhoppers, too, but they like my hibiscus better than the plumeria. Look forward to the pictures.
    Zill

• ddiverblue
    18 years ago

Thanks! I just checked my hibiscus, they love those too. This year seems worse for insects. I have lacewings but they aren't keeping up with the hordes. Next will be the whiteflies.

I'm getting impatient. Nothing grows slower than a plumeria putting out a flower. At least I know it'll be worth the wait. :)

• usha
    18 years ago

Hi Zill,
    You are amazing. I love the way you make tropical plants flower.

• Zill
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ddiverblue: Maybe all the rain was good for the insects, too, as well as for the plants. I guess it's a tradeoff. Good luck with your Plumeria, and please post pictures!

usha: Thanks, but I consider myself a real novice; hope to do as well as I can and learn from my failures.

I received more information from Michele (from the Valley of the Sun Plumeria Society) and that gal really knows her plummies! I am posting that on Discussions.

Zill

• jkochan
    18 years ago

I tried putting my new plumeria outside two days ago....it started looking stressed so I brought it back in. Is it too hot if they're in pots? Would northern exposure work outside with reflected if I put it in the ground??

• Zill
    Original Author
    18 years ago

jkochan: Sorry for no response, but I've been out of state. I'm no expert -- this was my first plummie -- but mine is against a south wall, facing north, has deep mulch, and is under 50% shade cloth. It was planted in the ground back in March and so has had time to gradually adjust to increased sun and warmth. If yours is a new plant, I would keep it protected until next Spring.
    Zill