Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdlady_in_mesa

Found in the alley.....

birdlady_in_mesa
18 years ago

The little boy who lives across the street found this kitten in the alley on Saturday. He promptly brought it to me, as he knows all with all my cats, birds, turtles and fish- I am a sucker. :)

I would say it is about 4 weeks old. It was extremely dehydrated, so dehydrated could not stand up, was only a skeleton and was scared to death. I have never seen a kitten with absolutely no muscle or anything on its bones except fur. Of course, it is a feral cat's kitten, as it had never seen a person before. (translate- hiss spit, albeit very weakly) I gave it pedialyte and then some canned tuna juice. After it seemed a little better (4-5 feeding with a syringes), I gave it some canned catfood. I have spent the entire 3 day weekend encouraging it to eat lots of small meals. I gave it a bath and by last night, it was crawling around. It was up and walking this morning! Tonight I have been rewarded with purring, coming when I called it and playing with a piece of yarn I wiggled. I am amazed at how well it is doing.

Now it just needs a name. It is a boy.....

Susie

Image link:

Comments (16)

• ShelbyRayMom
    18 years ago

Ah, Susie, you are such a good mama! He looks great. All of your hard work paid off.

I don't know but he looks like Dante to me. Just popped in my head.

Tammy

• desertdi
    18 years ago

He looks "Lucky" to me!

DD

• usha
    18 years ago

Hi Susie,
    You did an excellent job. He has very bright eyes. Looks like a 'Zingy' to me.

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

I'm still voting for "Yoda" with them ears....

>grin

• hawaiisam
    18 years ago

Both Lucky and Yoda definitely fit him. I vote for Radar. His ears are as big as satellite dishes and he was able to find you under less than ideal conditions. Bless your kind heart for both saving and keeping him. sam

• desertdi
    18 years ago

Radar is a great name but cats have a tendency to grow into their overlarge body parts. Our little Tonk had an enormous tail when she was little... now the rest of her has grown and she looks normal.

Aren't cats the best?

DD

• Zill
    18 years ago

Susie:
    You are a true Good Samaritan, and "lucky" this boy surely was.
    Zill

• chloeasha
    18 years ago

Awww it looks like our kitty Belfry (also named for the huge ears) when he was little.

• judy_b
    18 years ago

How about Alex for Alley Xander. :-)

• usha
    18 years ago

Soooooooooooooo What did you pick? Bless you for taking care of him!!

• birdlady_in_mesa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions....and comments. Good to know how many garden people are also animal lovers. :)

Well, animals in my home usually get 'real' people names. Maggie, Cooper, Tillie, Christopher, Jules etc..

So, based on those huge ears and his cute little eyes, we decided that he looked like Eddie Munster, so Eddie it is.

I am so proud of how well he is doing. He is just like a regular 4-5 week old kitten, attacking anything that moves, doing that funny little kitten hop hop sideways, running as fast as he can and then stopping and looking around, to see if anyone is chasing him.

I'll try and post another photo soon. He has almost doubled in weight, but his ribs still stick out and he has very little muscle. He is getting lots of good protein food and eats well, I think he just needs to do some catching up.

We are going camping this weekend and he is staying at the neighbors. I will miss him!

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

LOL, good job!

• tomatofreak
    18 years ago

He's precious, Susie, and so lucky he got you. I had just such a find several years ago. He turned out to be one of the most beautiful cats I ever had. Go, Eddie!

• jnine
    18 years ago

You are an angel for taking him in. Any pics we can see of Eddie?

• tomatofreak
    18 years ago

Yeah, Susie, how's about a new picture? He's sure to have changed a lot in these few weeks.

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

I'm with Tommy - her godchild, Asia, is one of the most beautiful cats I've ever had. Quite a bit different from when I first got her, I love showing the before & after pics of her.

Speaking of pics..... ahem!

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company