Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdi_gw

Visiting Bird

desertdi
18 years ago

This little guy showed up yesterday and hung out in our mesquite for nearly an hour. Is he an escaped parakeet? Any ideas?

Di

Image link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo here too

Comments (5)

• tomatofreak
    18 years ago

He looks a lot like the peach-faced lovebirds that we had a big discussion about last year. There's a whole community over near Papago Park in Phx. Whatever he is, he's a handsome guy! Yes, if he was all alone, he probably has escaped from a cage somewhere. Did you try getting him to come to you?

• desertdi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh yes, DH spent a good long while trying to coax him down and the bird looked like he wanted to but just couldn't bring himself to make the leap. I hope he can survive on his own. We have a bird feeder so he could always eat here. He seems to scare the other birds.

Di

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Evidently their native environment is very much like ours, so much that there are some pretty large colonies (flocks, I guess) in the Phoenix area of ex-domesticates. Don't worry about him, he'll do great.

• judy_b
    18 years ago

There's been a bunch of them in our area for years. I love seeing the flash of color they bring.

• Zill
    18 years ago

We have breeding colonies in our Central Phoenix area, too. Since we have feeders and seed bells up, it's a rare day that we don't have groups of 2 to 8 coming in. In past years, the flocks were much larger, but I think that when the flock increases past a certain point, a new flock is formed to colonize other areas. They are great fun to watch.

Di, your little guy looks paler than the standard adult Peachfaced. It may be a young one (although I see no black on the bill).

Zill

Sponsored