Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
usha_gw

Uninvited guests

usha
18 years ago

This is a second snake I spotted in my yard. I know that they are beneficial to the garden but I am not comfortable going into my garden. I have not been taking care of my plants as a result..I am sure I have lost a few plants in this heat. Any words of wisdom are appreciated!

{{gwi:392860}}

Comments (18)

• Garden_trolip
    18 years ago

I used to have pet snakes, so they don't bother me. They are probably just little Gopher snakes, trust me..they are TERRIFIED of you ;)

• judy_b
    18 years ago

I'm not a herpetophile, but that looks like kind of a cute little snake. I'm pretty sure he's not going to jump out of the bushes and get you. :-) And he might keep other obnoxious beasties away.

• User
    18 years ago

I'm not a huge fan of snakes, but he does look harmless.

Lynn

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

Looks like a gartner snake. They like crickets and beetles and scorpions and those dang locusts! They are not poisonous and as noted, will be scared to death of you. It is probably only because you were in the house that you were able to see it. They normally hear your vibrations on the ground and get away as fast as possible.

Just think, they are actually 'protecting' you. If you want to make sure you don't see them, stomp your feet a little as you move around and they will skeddale as fast as they can.

Susie

• Pagancat
    18 years ago

Yeah... I wonder if it's worthwhile to take the hose and spray it out in front of you 10' or so, just to give them the warning that you're about.... your dog would probably warn you, as well, and would scare away anything that it didn't corner. Watch your step, that's all - you can always take a hoe with you, too.

HTH!

• tomatofreak
    18 years ago

Usha, I agree that the snake is in all likelihood harmless and beneficial to your garden. If it gives you the willies, call the Arizona Herpetological Association. They may come and remove it for you. Years ago they came and took away a black racer that somehow got into our garage. Racers are prodigious rat killers, but like your little visitor, harmless to humans. The AHA is at 1918 E. Redfield Rd. in Tempe, phone 480-894-1625. Screw up your courage, put on some boots and go garden, girl! Leave that hoe behind; the snake has it's place in our world.

• Kathleen W
    18 years ago

Usha,

We have a lot of them too. Actually as long as they are not rattlers, I am glad they are here to keep down the packrats. Yesterday, DH woke me up early to "come see what's on the front porch" -- it was a 5' bull snake (king snake). The are thick and patterned like a rattler but they do not have that big triangular head of a viper which is the key thing to look for.

He just hung out there for a few minutes and slithered off on the hunt. My dog - 35 lbs - saw him just as he went and gave us her "snake alarm" barking routine.

I would be careful with your chihuahua though - they are very small and could be considered prey by a large snake.

Susie is right - just make plenty of noise and the vast majority of them will leave before you even show up. They do not want contact with us as much as we don't want contact with them.

On another note, my mom wondered if perhaps the little red racer we've seen around here is what disrupted the cardinal/dove nest this year. The racer actually lives in a rock garden just below that tree so it's plausible and mom said they would hunt a nest at night most likely.

Who knows. But don't let this snake spook you. Unless you actually try to pick him up with your hand, he will just run from you and never be a threat of any kind. If you do approach with your hand (right! like that would ever happen!) these non-poisonous types will bite though they don't have much in the way of teeth to back them up.

• winter_plumage_AZ
    18 years ago

Hi Usha,
    I've had several varieties of small snakes (blind snakes, brown snakes, etc.) including ones similar or identical to yours pictured... and I pick 'em up (not life-threatening and I like 'em) but if they get in the aviary, the myna kills them. I'm just glad that the local ecosystem is diverse and healthy enough to support them :)

• hawaiisam
    18 years ago

Usha, have you been comforted by the above posts telling you the snakes are harmless and beneficial? I didn't think so.

It is hard to get over our early upbringing which taught some of us that even small snakes are dangerous and not toys. Usha, if they make you uncomfortable to the point where you can't enjoy your garden then tomatofreak's idea seems to make sense. It removes them kindly to a place where they can be beneficial far, far away from you.

• winter_plumage_AZ
    18 years ago

I'd be glad to take 'em! I suppose you'd want me to catch 'em, huh? lol

• usha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for your support.TF..I called them a few weeks ago and the guy had fun at my expense. Then he informed me that they will only relocate poisonous snakes.
    Friends came by yesterday to catch it..but it escaped.
    May be GT or WP looking for a new pet!!!
    I think I will be careful but will go on with my life. If it is not this snake..then may be a different one in the future. The fact of the matter is it is their land that I have invaded in a way!!

• Kathleen W
    18 years ago

Usha,

Those of us who have made our property lush with plants - desert or tropical - are in essence putting out the welcome mat for all kinds of critters including the creepy crawlies. If only we would keep the "bare" desert look, we could keep them away! Truly I think they gravitate to our wonderful gardens. They know a good thing when they see it and so like little freeloaders they come to be squatters on our little plots. You are right, they were here before us and I guess we can't blame them for appreciating the fruits of our gardening labors.

Best of luck in getting this guy relocated and hopefully not too many more will find your little paradise. After seeing the photos of your pool, I'm not surprised this intruder couldn't stay away.

• tomatofreak
    18 years ago

Usha, I'm sorry you got a jerk on the phone; it was several years ago that they came out and took the racer - a totally non-poisonous snake. Times change...

You're right about 'invading' the snake's territory, but there's something else in play now: Many, many creatures lost their homes to the devasting fires that recently wiped out thousands of acres. Add to that the horrendous heat, no water, no cover and it's no wonder that the animals who normally would avoid us like the plague are coming into town. I hope your friends can trap the little animals and relocate them safely. First, do no harm...

• magnetogram
    18 years ago

usha,

what is there access point into your yard? if your yard is open to the desert, then there probably is nothing you can do to keep them out. you can stop them from crawling under a gate or through a drain hole in the wall by installing wire mesh. it might look out of place, but at least you will have the peace of mind to be able to step out in your garden and not be startled by a snake.

btw, take a hoe and use it as you will. i'm sure it'll just be to scoot the critter of your property. a hoe doesn't have to equal death like people always think. i guess it just depends on the critter.

• usha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Dietrich,
    I have chicken wire covering the view fence in the yard to keep rabbits away from eating my plants. My friends think that I should replace it with a tight mesh since chicken wire can still let small snakes in. Otherwise, all the drainage holes have been covered well.
    I still have a second quail nest with eggs that have not yet hatched. I belive this snake got all the eggs. Heart breaking!

• magnetogram
    18 years ago

hello usha,

that's good that you've already take some precautions. i'd go with your friends suggestion, then you should be snake free. the nasty scorpions and creepy tarantulas are another story.

take care and have fun in the garden.

OT - what type of cannas are you growing?

detrick

• usha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Detrich,
    I have few named and few unnamed I had received from others(incl one from Trudi at Awanda's house party).
    Red leaved ---red king humbert, red wine
    Green leaved--lucifer, yellow king humbert, cleopatra and city of portland.
    Variegated-bengal tiger and tropicanna.
    Are you growing any?
    usha

• magnetogram
    18 years ago

hello usha,

the only one that i have a tag for is 'angel pink beauty'. then, i have three w/o tags. i'll have to wait until they bloom. hopefully, that will happen before fall.

i never appreciated them as a child growing up in louisiana. now i wish i had some of those ones that were growing. LOL

detrick

Sponsored