Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front yard landscaping ideas

Posted by Gunner80 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 0:19

Im looking to landscape our front yard and am looking for ideas and/or types of plants/flowers/trees to plant. We are new to Arizona and gardening in general so any help is greatly appreciated!!

We would like to replace the plants along the front of the house and along the brick wall. Right now, there is a hodgepodge of plants. It doesn't look bad�..just messy. Ideally, we would like something that is green (preferably colorful) year round if at all possible. I was maybe thinking of a hedge with 1 or 2 different types of plants dispersed in between???? It is southeast facing and really only get direct sunlight from sunrise until 11am or so.

We also would like to cover the area around the large pine tree with some type of cover brush. I was also thinking of extending the hedge along the red dotted line. I would also like to replace some of the plants around the plum colored tree�.sorry I don't even know the name of that ;)

Again, any input or ideas is greatly appreciated!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front yard landscaping ideas

more pics

o

more pics

o

more pics

o

more pictures

o

Grow food.

o

Sorry but I would get rid of SOME of the grass. To much water. I also have some grass but you have a lot. Having said that, If you put in other plants try and use ones that are low water users. Its only going to get more expensive to water. You will be glad in the long run. It will be very difficult to get things to grow under that pine tree. They are a top rooting tree, that's probably why there is nothing there now. Maybe put some gravel in there with just a couple of plants.
That's a flowering plum- no fruit.

o

We have a hedge against a brick wall. See the attached photo. The photo is a little raggedy because we haven't trimmed the hedge lately, but you can see the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Front Yard Landscaping Ideas Online

o

Seeing these photos, the first thought came to mind is "water bill". Seriously.

15 years ago we decided not to put in an offer for a house with gorgeous East Coast style yard and $450 /month water bill.

You can have lush colorful garden in Arizona with low water demand plants.

Don't do anything yet before you check out sites with Xeriscape Gardens. You can also pick up brochures of Desert Plants, Landscape tips in many plant nurseries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lush AZ Xeriscape Gardens

o

Flood irrigated or was I suspect. Could be again. Arcadia area (he just indicates somewhere in AZ)? Looks like two Castlemain homes joined together at some point---nice to have money.

8 mo. old thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here