Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wok bowls

Posted by jtap Az (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 12 at 2:13

Greetings!

I am new to Arizona and have 5 wok bowls in my backyard, 3 are smallish, about 20 inches in diameter and 2 are large, about 38 inch in diameter. In the fall I planted geraniums and asylum in the larger bowls and petunias in the smaller ones. I am not sure if I want to stay with the annual plants or switch to perennials. The yard faces southwest and each of the pots have their own drip line. What would be some good suggestions for summer annuals and perennials for this type of arrangement? Any advice you guys could give would be great and GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Jenniffer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wok bowls

Welcome to Arizona, one of THE most fun places to garden that there is.

Your winter combinations sound GREAT. I do tons of geraniums each winter and love them (petunias, pansies, calendulas and alyssum too). I've got a few wok pots too and really like them. One of mine currently has a bunch of blue lobelia growing, surrounding an old fish shaped pot I plopped in the center. It's not high art, but it's pretty.

For summer you can definitely go with some fun lantana--there are lots of new dwarf types out there. If you'd rather go with annuals, you can go with vincas which love it here in summer. There are upright types and even a few new-ish cascading types that would like those conditions overall. Celosia and gomphrena like summers here too, and I plant those now and then, but it's hard to go wrong with vincas or lantanas. If the pots are nice and big and you keep things watered, you could even do hibiscus, although I'm not sure it would look quite "right" with such wide/low bowls. I'd do lantana and/or vincas.

We'd love pics of your winter pots some time. They sound great!

Happy gardening. Welcome to AZ and to the forum. Post as much as possible, as often as possible. :)

Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here