Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing a Cherimoya or Atemoya tree?

Posted by raimeiken (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 9:01

I would like to hear your experience with this tree. I want to grow one on the east side of my house close to the house. I know they're a bit cold hardy but the summer might be too much for the Cherimoya here. Will giving it afternoon shade save it from drying up in the summer heat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing a Cherimoya or Atemoya tree?

bump

o

I got a fruit from aj's fine foods last year and planted seeds in various locations around my yard. The seeds planted in the shade all sprouted and grew about 6 in before the hottest months of summer came and killed them all. The lone survivor is in a pot in my living room and doing quite well next year I will plant it outside in the shade but I'm not getting my hopes up

o

I have a cherimoya I've had in the ground for some 8+ years now. It's gotten frozen back to the ground I'd say 4 times now. And during the summers, I usually cover it with frost cloth with a lean-to type setup. I included a link to a few pictures of it below. This is after it froze literally to the ground to winters ago.

It is on the east side of my house, I just planted a seed from a fruit I got years ago, and it grew.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is a link to a pic of one of the leaves from the cherimoya

o

Mine has several fruit on it right now, and I am wondering how long it will take them to mature.

I just noticed that this is an Arizona gardening forum - sorry, but I don't get the opportunity to discuss cherimoyas very often.

It does not get hot where I live (near the beach) compared to AZ, but last summer was the hottest one we've had with temps reaching the low 90s, and it did not damage the tree. It's beginning to lose some of its leaves now, but it does that every year. I have mine in full sun. They do need to be somewhat protected against strong winds, but we don't have those either. We also do not have frost in the winter, although I understand that these trees can handle a minor frost, especially since they are somewhat dormant in winter. They do very well around Santa Barbara, and it is colder there than where I live - especially in the winter.

Lars

o

They don't don't fruit well in this environment, because the pollen dies too fast to be viable. Although it hasn't been tested, you could try hand pollination or fruit fly pollination.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here