Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marymcp_2

Table Top Gardening

I've posted these photos on another board too so for those of you who frequent both forums, my apologies for the 'double post'. I'm seriously looking for some fresh ideas for a new table top garden hubby completed for me recently.

I'll start with a pic of how the bottom screening looks (I cover this with brown wrapping paper to hold the soil in place.) We have reinforced the bottom because it was sagging dangerously when filled and watered. Also added a second 2x4 as you can see later. One board (4") was too shallow.

{{!gwi}}

Then I'll give you some shots of it full of lettuce. This is my third year of growing lettuce in the table top garden and I love that I can stand and snip.....old lady that I am!!!

{{!gwi}}

When the seedlings start sprouting I have to cover with this piece of Remay that is stapled to a 'stick'. Otherwise the birds get all the seedlings. I don't use the cover once the seedlings come in strong.

{{!gwi}}

Check out the big wheels on the new one (below)! The very first rendition of the table top garden did not have wheels and it was too heavy to move as the sun travels through the winter months. Hubby added four small wheels to the first one while it had lettuce growing so that was a real chore. The new table top sports a couple of big wheels from a lawn mower he found abandoned in the alley.

Now I need some help. What to plant in it? The sides are 2 - 2"x4"s so it's just about 8" deep. Should I add one more 2x4 to give it depth? What can I grow in 7" of soil and what will grow in 10" or 11"? (Need an inch at top to prevent overflow.)

I'm thinking basil for sure but I won't use THAT much basil. Also thinking I could plant flowers that attract beneficials. Then I can move it around the garden, parking it where plants are fruiting. So what beneficials would do well? Sweet alyssum..... what else?

{{!gwi}}

And yeah yeah, I know I should paint these so they are not so ugly but I'm more interested in functionality than beauty at this point since I'm still working 40 hours (or more) a week.....and weekends too lately. Ugh!

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas. Mary

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus