Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agility_mom

Growing unusual stone fruit trees

agility_mom
13 years ago

Does anyone here have any experience growing the unusual stone fruit cross trees. What I am wondering about are Pluots, Apriums, Nectaplums, Cherry Plums, Plum-cots etc

The only ones that I have tasted are Pluots. So, any opinions on the taste of these various fruits, the hardiness of the trees, growth habits or other comments?

Comments (10)

• azbolt
    13 years ago

I have 2 4-in-1 pluot trees (so 8 different varieties), a plum-cot called Satin and an aprium called Flavor Delight. I love the flavor of all of them, I don't think I could pick a favorite out of the whole bunch. The aprium is turning into a really big tree, making it hard to prune, pick fruit and cover fruit with netting (the birds LOVE all my fruit it seems). The one issue I have with the two 4-in-1 pluot trees is that ONE of the varieties on each tree grows much faster than the others and wants to take over the tree, making it lopsided, so that guy will get an extra heavy pruning this year to even things up some. I was concerned about the number of chill hours required for these guys, but it seems the amount of cold nights I get here in Queen Creek are adequate.
    I have regular stone (and nonstone)fruit as well, my peach tree does well, my two nectarines do not, my 3 pears give me about 1 or 2 pears a year, my apricots don't put out much fruit, apples not much fruit (and small), asian pears not much fruit, plums however do really well. Maybe they'll do better as they mature.

Kevin

• magicgarden_az
    13 years ago

I have a pluot and it does very well. I also have quite of variety of other stone fruit. Here is what I have learned over the past 6 years of trying different things.

The most important issue is WHERE you plant. I've got stuff doing well all over - but - the ones that do best are facing east with a big mesquite in back which provides some shade in the summer sun in the afternoon. That's where my pluot is - with a plum and an asian pear for company.

Birds love them. Its a joy to sit and sip a coffee in the morning and watch them all enjoy the fruit. (There lots of flowers nearby for the hummingbirds, too) I have a giant palm tree that's been there over 50 years that some birds have made a home in for a long time. I watch them fly back and forth and realize I have created a special little ecosystem in my front yard.

• agility_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both for the info. I had thought about planting on an east side but my eastern exposures are full. So, I am trying to plant a pecan tree on the west side of my stone fruits and in several years, maybe they'll get some shade and we'll have some pecans:)
    I decided to try one of the 4 in 1 Pluot trees as well as a necta-plum cross.

The birds will be a challenge and have already bought some bird tape and netting so I hope that works.
    Even though the birds cause me more work, we sure like having them in my yard. I read where some commercial growers plant mulberry trees to draw the birds away from their fruit trees. With my luck, it would just draw more hungry birds and they'd move on to my other trees like a buffet.

Kevin, you have some fruit that I will be planting. Hopefully by choosing the low chill varieties and planting more than one type of complimentary types, we'll get some fruit.

Magic, my yard finally has an ecosystem too. It is rewarding to just be in my oasis. I never get tired of being outside. There's always something new happening.

• azyard napper
    8 years ago

where are you finding these trees? i read a lot of comments on how well the combo trees are doing, but cannot find them to purchase...

• azbolt
    8 years ago

Do a google search for raintree nursery, that's where I got both of my 4 in 1 pluots.

Kevin

• Fascist_Nation
    8 years ago

San Hedrin Nursery http://www.sanhedrinnursery.com/category/1-fruit-tree
    Bay Laurel Nursery http://www.baylaurelnursery.com/
    Probably can start ordering in August.

• azyard napper
    8 years ago

azbolt, thank you - i went straight there... apparently i'm not finding them because it's too late in the season (doi) so i will set a reminder to look in january! they explained if i don't see it, they are out, and had an advisory to hold off planting if we are over 75 degrees... so wait i will!

• azyard napper
    8 years ago

facist nation, thank you - i went to your links as well! same story, i'm just looking at the wrong time of year! i will save all of these links for january

• Fascist_Nation
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

January is when to plant if you live in the PHX area. August-Sept is the time to order. Almost everything will be sold out by around Oct.

Raintree will sell after this date but that is because they are in Washington state and won't start to ship until March at earliest which is the end of PHX's planting season. You need to hit the SoCal nurseries for trees---often more appropriate for here anyway. [not that I have not ordered from Raintree]

• azyard napper
    8 years ago

Fascist Nation, oh boy - good to know! i will move my reminder up and include your notes :)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks