Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazy_gardens

Cucumbers in Phoenix?

lazy_gardens
14 years ago

A friend asked how to grow these ... I don't much like them, so I have never tried.

Any tips I can pass on?

Comments (19)

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

I've always had the best luck growing Oriental cucumber, Armenian cucumber, and lemon cucumber. They take the heat better than standard cucumbers, and are likely to bear through the summer. Standard cucumbers seem to take perfect timing, and I've always missed--good thing I prefer the Armenian type!

Kevin : )

• greendesert
    14 years ago

I've had some luck with both types but I also much prefer Armenian cucumbers. They are way easier to grow than the regular cucumbers, like the previous post says, those take perfect timing, and our growing seasons are just too short for those to do well. However, with armenian cucumbers, it's a piece of cake. They do well with the heat, and pump out delicious "cucumbers" - they're actually not true cucumbers but melons, however they taste almost identical to real cucumbers. They're totally free of bitterness and you can eat them at any stage, even when they get big they still taste fine to me, although they're best eaten when they're less than 2 inches around (They can get HUGE).
    If you want to grow regular cucumbers, you want to start quite a bit earlier because when the heat comes, they can't take the real heat. With armenians it's the opposite. they hate the cold. plant them after it has warmed up well and make sure they're in good rich soil with regular watering. I would suggest that both varieties would do best against a wall facing east because that way they'd last longer into summer. Yes they like the heat, but there isn't much that truly does well in full sun here in July (maybe okra). anyway, have fun. I can't wait to start mine this spring.

• grant_in_arizona
    14 years ago

This is a fun discussion. When do you two plant the Armenian cukes? I've heard of them for decades but have never given them a try--maybe this is the year? :)

Take care,
    Grant

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

I plant the seeds in March. Be sure to give them plenty of room, or a big, strong trellis: they grow into huge vines, and if you miss a fruit, it can grow to 10 pounds or more!

Kevin : )

• goodluckkitty
    14 years ago

I tried them for the first time last year. I think I transplanted them in March. They grew very slow for a long while, but once they started to produce, they just wouldn't quit! I had them against an east facing wall which gets shade after 2 PM in the hottest months. They died when we went on vacation the end of JULY. (Sister accidentally messed up watering system.) WATCH OUT-- the vines are huge and grew 4-5 feet wide, even with a lattice, and tried to choke some of my tomatoes!

• noisebeam
    14 years ago

All that is said about Armenian cukes is true. Not only that but I planted seeds in unprepared soil, just dug into the hardpacked lawn soil that had not been cared for for over 20yrs just too loosen it up and the plants were still huge and good producers of great tasting cukes. Although I got very sick of them by the end of summer, there is only so much one can eat and give away.

• crista
    14 years ago

I hadn't thought about growing cucumbers but I'm having second thoughts!

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I'll let him know he can't grow English cukes, but Armenian cukes are a good substitute.

• grant_in_arizona
    14 years ago

Great tips and information, thanks for posting them. I may just give these puppies a try.

They sound as vigorous as my loofah gourd from a few years ago. I just tossed some seeds in the ground, slopped water one them when they were really dry, and they took over! My kind of plant.

Thanks again.
    Grant

• grant_in_arizona
    14 years ago

Okay, I bought a pack of Armenian cuke seeds at Home Debit today. I'll be ready for March. :)

Thanks,
    Grant

• phoenixtransplant
    14 years ago

Hmm so the Armenian cukes like the heat maybe that's why my 6 died this winter even with my sheets covering them at night. If it's not location, location, location it's timing, timing, timing!

• greendesert
    14 years ago

My experience is that the Armenians do not like it when it gets under 60 degrees. They seem to thrive at 80-100 degrees.

• iandyaz
    9 years ago

My turn to bump an old thread. Because of this thread I planted some Armenian cucumbers a few days ago. Hopefully they can handle my 115 degree back yard this summer. Grant, did yours ever produce?

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    9 years ago

I grew them a few years ago and just let them trail all over the ground. They DO get huge. I lost track of one and got a shock when I found it among the leaves.

This year I am trying some in a large container. The seeds were years and years old, but they came up and they are doing pretty well so far. A few flowers, but can't find any baby cukes yet.

I made "refrigerator pickles" with them. Very much like bread and butter pickles.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

Cukes are a struggle here, especially with the seriously vicious local breed of Downy Mildew. I don't really like lots of plain cukes so want them for pickles. Any kind of pickles. Someday I will die from an overdose of pickles and it will be a good death. You say these Armenians can pickle well with a cold method?

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

This is the time to plant them. Armenian cucumbers are not cucumbers. They are members of the melon family which is why they work now.

• grant_in_arizona
    9 years ago

Yup, they are good producers here when it's HOT. I rely on them and okra for summer deliciousness. Post lots of updates folks who give them a try this year. I'd still wait a bit before planting. Like me, they like it HOT. Happy gardening!

• LeslieM peoria az
    9 years ago

Do they do well in containers?

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus