Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raimeiken1

Ice Cream bananas

ra
9 years ago

If anyone is curious on how these taste like, go check your local Asian markets right now. I got mine from LF oriental store over at 53rd ave and Bell rd. They were labeled as "Thai bananas"

I tried them for the first time yesterday and they're absolutely delicious! Very creamy. I'm gonna try and grow this variety now.

Here's what they look like

{{gwi:2122416}}

EDIT: Was just corrected by somebody in the different messageboard that these are actually Namwah Bananas, not Ice Cream. Both are quite similar, but the inside of the Ice Cream is more white in color.

This post was edited by raimeiken on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 15:14

Comments (14)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

They are delicious! I always knew them as dessert bananas.

• newtoucan
    9 years ago

Thanks. Will try them.

• ra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wish these were available all year round. The regular cavendish bananas at the grocery stores pale compared to these.

Apple bananas (Manzano) are also pretty good and seems to have a longer shelf life.

The red bananas at Sprouts are also great when eaten ripe. But they're a hit or miss sometimes. I've gotten them a few times where I waited over a week and they never ripened. Had to throw them away.

• newtoucan
    9 years ago

Plantains also are amazingly good when black. Love bananas foster made with plantains.

• ra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love fried plantains

Another good one is Saba. They're short and fat, usually find them next to plantains at the asian grocery stores. Wait until they're over ripe and coat them in sugar, wrap them in eggroll wrapper, roll it again in sugar and then deep fry them. You can even add a slice of jackfruit with the banana before wrapping it. MMMmmm sooo good. One of my favorite dessert/snacks. We call it 'Turon' in the Philippines.

{{gwi:2122417}}

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Stop! You people are making me hungry.

• newtoucan
    9 years ago

Ramaiken, I've been trying to find the right banana to make those. Thanks. I'm hungry too.

• grant_in_arizona
    9 years ago

Awesome pics and discuss Raimeiken and all. I love bananas and plantains of all types. I love that recipe. I'm going to give it a try. SOON, very soon. As in maybe this morning, hah. Happy gardening and happy eating!

• newtoucan
    9 years ago

I bought just about every banana type at lee lees:
    Burro
    Manzano
    Plantain
    Regular

Couldn't find Saba to make the banana eggrolls.

Any suggestions for recipes with burro or manzanita varieties?

Any

• ra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

burro is the same as saba. so yes, you have the right bananas for that recipe :)

• newtoucan
    9 years ago

Hooray! Do I wait until they are black first?

For a plantain I've waited a month before it was finally black. Didn't need to cook it at that point. It was fine on its own.

• ra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

not totally black. If they're soft and mostly black they're good to go

• ra
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for the offer, but I actually just bought a huge Dwarf Namwah corm from somebody on bananas.org forum.

{{gwi:2122653}}

I have read that a lot of the "Ice cream banana" plants sold here in the US are actually Namwahs. It's hard to find the real Ice cream bananas unless you contact some other fellow banana enthusiast in that forum I posted.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets