Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendesert_gw

Anybody going to Tomatofest on Feb 5th?

greendesert
13 years ago

it would be cool to meet some gardenwebbers there. I'm so curious what varieties they will be offering. I'm sure it will be a better selection than Lowes.

Comments (17)

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Where is Tomatofest happening?

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Its in Phoenix. They have classes too.

Wish I could go but the answer is no.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

Unfortunately, this event conflicts (for me) with the Gourd Festival in Casa Grande.

Here is a link that might be useful: TomatoFest Information

• rtl850nomore
    13 years ago

If you can't make it to the Tomatofest, David Parkin sells transplants at the Awatukee and Scottsdale farmers markets. His transplants are grown in his Awatukee backyard so are adaptable to this environment. His pricing is good too. And, he is the third presenter at the Tomatofest again this year speaking about tomato problems in this environment.

• goodluckkitty
    13 years ago

I like David Parkin too. There is also a school group that grows and sells, and I had good luck with some varieties I had never tried before.

We will be there! My garden is pretty full; almost everybody made it through the winter (so far!!! haha) but I am sure I will "need" a few more plants!

• tracydr
    13 years ago

I'll be there! What are the hours?

• rachelj8
    13 years ago

With this cold snap - is Tomatofest still on for Saturday?

• greendesert
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think it's supposed to start at 10 am. and I'm hoping things will start warming up soon. I think tomorrow is supposed to be a bit warmer. CRAZY weather!

• tracydr
    13 years ago

I was disappointed with the selection, only picked up a few plants. Anyone know if there are plants at the Mesa Farmers Market or a good nursery for heirlooms?

• thisisme
    13 years ago

tracydr if you are going to be in East Mesa let me know. I could spare a Sun Gold a Black Cherry and a Cherokee Purple. I even have a few extra Toma Verde Tomatillos and an extra Bell Pepper plant or two.

I won't be able to invite you in to socialize. My better half just had her second total knee replacement about ten days ago. She doesn't want anyone to see the inside of the house till it meets her standards again. I have free plants though so come on by if you can.

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Yesterday was my first year attending Tomatofest and like Tracydr, I was disappointed with the selection. I also was surprised by the size of the plants. The $4 ones were not that big. I bought a few even so 'cause it didn't make sense to drive all the way over there and come home empty handed. Oh well, live & learn!

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Thanks, Thissime. That's very generous! I may take you up on a couple CP and BC.
    I think you live in E. Mesa? I feed my horses daily over by the 202 and Mckellips. Anywhere close?
    I may have some seeds you'd be interested in. I could just bring my very unorganized box.

• rachelj8
    13 years ago

I have to agree, there were only 3 booths selling tom's and the most popular were sold out by 11:00 a.m. Also, there were a lot of plants you can buy at the big box stores, ie. Better Boy, Sweet 100, etc. I read that there were supposed to be over a 1000 varieties. There wasn't even close to that. The best part about it was the Chef's serving up tomato delights. I am just glad I started my own this year.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Hi tracydr, I'm on the other side of 60 where the 60 and 202 cross. Near Guadalupe and Elsworth.

• greendesert
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yeah I wasn't that impressed either, but I bought some plants to try. I think I'm going to shift my focus from being a heirloom snob to just figuring out what variety will do best in my conditions. I think I'll include some hybrids in my garden this year and compare them.
    One person I met there, mentioned she had grown Violet Jasper as well from Rachel last year and I loved that variety. Very different, but very prolific for me.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Thisisme, can you email me and I can figure out a time to meet you? I think the email through here is working.
    Everybody, it may freeze again Weds night so be careful!

• thisisme
    13 years ago

email sent.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor