Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
waterbug_guy

Japanese garden

waterbug_guy
9 years ago

Converting part of my front yard into a Japanese style garden. I had converted from turf 5 years ago to desert. I liked the desert fine, and much of the yard will remain desert, but desert requires almost no maintenance and I want to be in the garden more. Also we're getting ready to remodel our living room which will look out into the Japanese garden.

Digging the pond.
{{gwi:2122457}}

The soil is being used to create a hillside sloping down into the garden. This hill was started about 5 years ago when I scrapped the bermuda lawn. On the street side I created a 30" broken concrete retaining wall.
{{gwi:2122458}}
That marks the separation of desert landscape and Japanese garden and partly hides the Japanese garden from the street view.

The main goal in this phase was to get the hill's highest elevation done so I could get 6" pot aleppo pines in the ground and growing. I've just reached that point.

But I received a large aleppo gift from Mike and had to do a little redesign to find it a spot. I wanted this one to have a more prominent position while the others are a backdrop. The spot is near the pond, next to a future water fall. I won't have the time to complete the waterfall for awhile, but I needed the aleppo to be planted at the right elevation so I created a retaining wall using roof tiles.
{{gwi:2122459}}
4-6" deep trench with a hoe and set the tiles. .
{{gwi:2122460}}
I leaned the tiles into the hill. Because this is a temp wall I didn't use the level and it went fast, about 30 minutes.
{{gwi:2122461}}
Backfilled both sides with clay and tamped with shovel handle.
{{gwi:2122462}}
Filled to create desired elevation and big enough area for Mike's aleppo. All clay soil with about 10-15% composted mulch added. 1" of soil tamped, compost on top, mixed with a 4 prong cultivating rake, tamped again, repeat.

{{gwi:2122463}}
Hopefully the pines should go into the ground today. It's been difficult to resist jumping the gun and planting them before the elevations were right.

The soil surprised me which it always does whenever I dig a hole in the Phoenix area. Always different. 16" of topsoil was no surprise. Then 8" of clay, no surprise. Then a hard layer of clay with little soft white pebbles, almost like perlite. I thought this layer was going to be hard digging but wasn't too bad. The shovel went thur the pebbles, although in one area there were more pebbles and the digging got harder so I think I was lucky.

I thought this would be very hard soil to break up to improve but was very surprised how easy it broke up into very fine stuff, easy to amend, compacted well. It was easier to work with than the topsoil.
{{gwi:2122464}}
The little whlte pebbles I assume is the beginning formation of caliche. It reacts with acid so I assume it is calcium carbonate. I'm not worried about it because the plant selection will be able to take our soil and water. I found old eldarica pine roots in this layer.

Comments (22)

• waterbug_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Shelf for boulder.
    {{gwi:2122465}}
    {{gwi:2122466}}

• waterbug_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pond edge started.
    {{gwi:2122467}}

• aztreelvr
    9 years ago

In case you need suggestions for your pond creation, here's a great link to a video on pond construction. I used this technique to build our pond a few years ago. the key is to create 'shelves' or steps inside the pond instead of straight sides. It worked great for us!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pond construction

• waterbug_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roof tiles around the pond perimeter. To get the tops level I first use a water level.
    {{gwi:2122468}}
    One end of1/4" clear vinyl tube into a water jug filled with water in the dirt. Suck on other end of hose to fill with water, no air bubbles that way. Measure how far down far water level in jug to where I want top of tiles, about 1" below grade.
    {{gwi:2122469}}
    Other end of hose is strapped to a small piece of wood. Put a mark on stick the distance from water level to tile tops. When water level is on that mark the bottom of the stick is at the desired tile top.

Using the water level for every tile is way too slow and difficult. So I set up this long adjustable level. A length of rebar is hammered into the middle of the pond using the water level to get the top of the rebar right.
    {{gwi:2122470}}
    Short length of 1" steel electric conduit with a plug/stop in one end goes over the rebar. A 1.25" PVC tee goes on the short conduit. A long length of 1" conduit goes thru the tee. All connections are loose, which is good. The long length slides to reach the pond side as needed. Inside the tee the horizontal conduit is always on top of the vertical piece.
    {{gwi:2122471}}
    Strap a small level on the horizontal and we're ready to go.

This pond required 2 rebar posts for the level to reach all edges. In smaller ponds when only one vertical rebar is needed the water level step isn't needed.

• waterbug_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I planted 8 aleppo today. An issue that's been bugging me for awhile is watering on a hill. I don't want obvious terracing and I don't want heavy clay so erosion is a concern.

My solution is to use old wood rounds I have from the eldarica pines I cut down a few years ago. 15-20" diameter, above 16" long.
    {{gwi:2122472}}
    {{gwi:2122473}}
    Buried so top is at soil level.
    {{gwi:2122474}}
    {{gwi:2122475}}

I'm putting these all over the hill and in valleys where water would flow. Because these are old, dry and cracked, water drains into them very fast and they can hold a lot of water for long periods and get water down 16" into the soil. Kind of a buried terrace, or wood french drain. Plant roots will love them, wood will decompose and enhance the soil over time, home for beneficial insects and lizards and they'll give me stepping places when working in the garden. And I get to use a bunch of wood. They will be hidden from normal views except for a couple.

I'm liking these.

• waterbug_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2122476}}

Mikes aleppo in the ground.
    {{gwi:2122477}}

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    9 years ago

You are clever! Giant level - !! Water reservoirs!
    Making me jealous.
    It's going to be beautiful.

• waterbug_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Collar done.
    {{gwi:2122478}}
    {{gwi:2122479}}
    About 5 linear feet per hour.

• runs_with_scissors6
    9 years ago

I'm fascinated with your project. Did you have to get a permit? Are you concerned about *attractive nusance* since it is in the front yard? I have 3
    ponds and a stream. Looking forward to more photos!

• waterbug_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good question.

In Phoenix there are several codes involved. Corner lot so there's a visibility triangle. There's a retaining wall code. Both cases under 3' with no permit is OK so I'm staying under 3'.

Electric requires a permit.

Plumbing won't because the auto fill will be off the current irrigation system. Irrigating the hillside would normally require a permit because the current backflow preventer would be too low. But in this build the pond will have city water dripping into the pond 24/7 from the existing irrigation system. The pond overflow will be used to irrigate the hillside and rest of the yard using a pump. So not connected to the city water system.

The 24/7 drip is a really old concept, dating back thousands of years. Only recently have a few people started bring that concept back. Eliminates the need for filters, pH, KH testing and keeps excellent water quality. Perfect for our climate. I'll get to use the water twice and water changes for free. Probably better water for the plants too. Greatly simplifies everything.

And there's swimming pool code. I checked with the building dept and they said more than 18" deep is considered a swimming pool. That's pretty standard everywhere, some places allow 24". State law says something like the structure must be intended to be used as a swimming pool to be considered a swimming pool. I'm following the more restrictive and staying less than 18" deep. However, the hole is 24" deep (still under the retaining wall permit requirement), there will be 2" of mortared rock over the liner. Then 4-6" of pea gravel in which water lilies will be planted. So less than 18" depth.

Nothing can be done to eliminate the attractive nuisance for any yard. Kid climbs in a tree, touches a cactus, climbs and falls off a retaining wall...you name it. There's just nothing that can stop people from suing if they want. Best that can be done is do the best you can to make it safe. This pond will have a shallow edge for the most part, plants to block so it shouldn't be too attractive to kids who are just walking by. The hillside blocks most of the view from the street.

One thing still to do is create a 3' wall/fence where my sidewalk to the front door is located. That area is and will remain desert and I will increase the use of long needle pad cactus there. The biggest danger I think is from an adult cutting thru the yard at night and falling in. Not a drowning danger but a tripping type fall. A 3' fence should prevent that risk at least to a reasonable level.

I think the concept of a Japanese stroll garden is helping with all this because the goal is to create different views. That just naturally leads to different kinds of barriers that don't seem like barriers. From the street there shouldn't be a lot to see.

Because of this I'm not overly concerned with attractive nuisance. Can't live under the covers.

This post was edited by waterbug_guy on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 16:09

• waterbug_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Starting to lay the collar for the stream. Same deal as the pond collar, tile, water level, but can go faster, not as much tamping, doesn't have to be as exact.

I needed to cut out old irrigation and the PVC pipe was a bit over a foot deep. Maybe some of you have already seen this old plumbing trick...instead of digging it out enough to get a cutter in there I use string. So just enough digging to be able to get a string around the pipe.
    {{gwi:2122480}}
    Pull back and forth and the friction melts the PVC. Half way thru.
    {{gwi:2122481}}
    And thru. Goes pretty fast.
    {{gwi:2122482}}
    Not super useful in the garden but for a PVC or ABS pipe against a wall it works great.

• runs_with_scissors6
    9 years ago

So no Koi? If you have no fish I can see getting away with no filtration. I have large Koi, who are also large poopers :( Knowing what I do now I would have skipped the Koi. I'm sure your neighbors are going to love it!
    I'll be watching for updates.

• waterbug_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There won't be a filter but there will be a filter system...24/7 drip.

• grant_in_arizona
    9 years ago

Just an amazing project and great pics/discussion too. So much work and such interesting techniques too. Thanks for posting all of these great pics. Please keep them coming! I wish I was half as industrious!

Everything looks great!
    Take care,
    Grant

• waterbug_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ground is too wet today to do much. The delivered rock is on the concrete driveway so I continued digging out rocks and laying them out around the pond.

I decided to give my little dolly a try...it is so tiny, little plastic wheels, you'd think it couldn't move a box of marshmallows. But it has surprised me in the past with it's moving ability.

600 lbs (that's internet pounds, more like 200 US lbs) and it hardly batted an eye. Moved rock about 200', concrete drive, and sidewalks.
    {{gwi:2122483}}

{{gwi:2122484}}

So lets try a 18,000 lb (300 US) rock. That was about the limit.
    {{gwi:2122485}}

Tried a bigger rock but that felt like Dolly wouldn't survive so I aborted. I have 5 or so other bigger rocks to move and will have to either rent of proper rock dolly or better yet...invent something.

• runs_with_scissors6
    9 years ago

Fabulous rocks. Hope you have some Advil on hand ; )

• waterbug_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The rocks are from an apartment complex construction site off Cave Creek road just south of TBird. I think it's metaquartzite, at least that's as close as I could get. Here's a pic of it exposed where Cave Creek rd cuts thru the hillside.
    {{gwi:2122486}}

• waterbug_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thread continued in Japanese Garden 2. Too many pictures for one thread.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    9 years ago

Very nice.

• grant_in_arizona
    9 years ago

Awesome garden and advice, Mike. Thanks for posting both!

• Francisco Gallardo
    4 years ago

I can't see pictures! :(

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville