Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrhodo

Favorite plants?

jrhodo
13 years ago

I fly into Tucson Feb. 10 to start my daughter's landscaping. I am so excited--a whole new yard, new plants, and a completely different climate (I'm a horticulturalist in Michigan). I've been reading here and the books I have plus I ordered all of the books Grant recommended. I've started a notebook to keep track of everything as my mind doesn't seem to remember names as well as it used to...

So my question today is; What are your very favorite ornamental plants that you grow?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (10)

• turtleman49
    13 years ago

Other than my fruit trees...

My Boojum Trees..

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

Emu bushes, especially Eremophila maculata, or spotted emu.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Fun! Keep us posted. You have a ton of exciting plants and plant combinations to experiment with. Try to keep in mind that Tucson is significantly cooler in winter than Phoenix so some things that do well in Phoenix will not survive in Tucson, although Tucson is a touch cooler in summer so there are plants that do well there that melt in summer in Phoenix, so it all evens out.

That being said, I really like hesperaloe (H. parviflora). It provides a nice almost grassy presence and very pretty blooms off and on all year with a big flush in early summer. It comes in a range of colors from almost red, through pinky-red, and then a light buttery yellow. It's not a flashy plant, but it adds a neat deep green stiff grassy look and absolutely needs minimal maintenance--I water it once a week when it's really hot, and then once a month when it's not and I snip off bloom stalks when the last bloom has faded; that's it. It will thrive in full sun, dappled light, and even mostly shade, though sun and dappled sun keep it happiest. It is much more winter hardy than Phoenix or Tucson would ever need, so that's good, and it thrives in summer too.

I'm also a citrus and aloe nut, but that's another story, LOL.

I'm curious to see everyone else's suggestions, plus what you select. Pictures please! :)

Take care and have fun,
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:393859}}

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Different Salvias and lavender. Palo Verde. Rosemary.
    We have lots of citrus and pines in our backyard but we have flood irrigation.

• jrhodo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I'm going to print this out and add it to my notebook. My son-in-law definitely wants some citrus.
    When I plant a garden for a newbie, I like to give them an indicator plant. One that wilts when it's time to water. That seems to be the easiest way to teach someone how to water. Do any of you have one of those plants?

• greendesert
    13 years ago

ornamentals: lantana is sometimes overlooked, but it can be very pretty (not so much the yellow ones) I have one that I hope it survived this freeze. I've been keeping it trimmed in a nice compact bush... It does awesome through the summer on minimal water and blooms profusely (red/yellow)... looks beautiful and attracts buterflies.

• wabikeguy
    13 years ago

I am partial to fig trees. They are beautiful and they provide fruit. Also, the Ocotillo is a beautiful, desert hardy plant that doesn't require much water.

• piranhafem
    13 years ago

I love Queen's Wreath vine, it grows so fast and has such beautiful blooms. Dies back hard in the winter, though.

One of my favorite additions to my rock garden last year was blackfoot daisy, a native perennial that spread and bloomed alllll summer long. So pretty.

I love my Desert Museum palo verde, it grew like crazy in the first year and the flowers are spectacular.

I love Lady Banks rose, they also grow like mad on little water and have such gorgeous flowers in March.

Have fun!

--Maureen

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

I love all of these suggestions! Keep them coming everyone. :)

Happy gardening, whatever your favorite plant is.
    Grant

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

pictures, pictures and more pictures