Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Local nursery vs landscaper

Posted by drmeow3 z9 AZ (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 08 at 15:24

Hi all,

I'm looking to convert about 1/2 of my yard from grass to desert landscaping. I have neither the time nor (in my opinion) sufficient expertise to do it myself so I'm looking for a landscaper to do it for me. I've been seeing ads in the paper for Moon Valley Nursery (I think that's the one) where they will do the planting for you. I need a little more than planting (i.e., contouring, etc). I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with or thoughts about using this nursery or another nursery to do the landscaping. Alternatively, is there a landscaper or landscape contractor they can recommend? I already have a landscape plan.

Thanks for you help.
Maureen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Oh, forgot to mention

I'm in Tempe.

o
RE: Local nursery vs landscaper

I'd suggest doing a search on the forum before using Moon Valley, It seems most if not all people on here have had nothing but problems with them.

o

Maureen,

The best time to kill Bermuda grass is when it is actively growing - from June through August. Just digging it up when it's dormant will leave behind stolons and rhizomes which will sprout as soon as the weather warms up.

As far as who to call, why not ask Ron Dinchak? He teaches the landscaping workshops for the City of Tempe and has done work for lots of homeowners.

Here is a link that might be useful: City of Tempe landscape workshops

o

Most nurseries will offer planting at an additional charge. But if you are starting a desert landscape from scratch, it will probably be best to use a landscaper. Desert Botanical garden and the U of A Master Gardener Program can be of assistance in finding someone good as well as knowledgeable.

o

Thanks to everyone for your input.
After I posted this I did run across a very negative post about Moon Valley which answered my question.
I'm not planning to do the conversion now, I'm looking to get estimates now so that I'm ready to hit the ground running come spring.
Ron Dinchak actually did my landscaping plan but I did not get the impression he would do the actual planting (he does broker plants). Thanks for the reminder, though. I had forgotten that I do have one name from him and another from someone else but I'm from the "get at least three estimates" school of contractor hiring. The two I have are Desert Fusion and Butch Herrmann Landscaping. Anyone have any experience with either of those?

-Maureen

o

I used Mike Potter Landscape when we scraped off the front yard. They were timely, clean and mid-priced. Helps that they're licensed and bonded. An awful lot of folks out there have a business but they aren't registered and their taxpayer status is dubious.

Over the years, I've bought trees from Moon Valley, Whitfill's and Baker's Nursery. I'll buy again from both Whitfill's and Baker's.

o

Thanks!

Now I have to get off my duff and make some calls to get some estimates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here