Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orchid Tree

Posted by immobilus Tucson, AZ (9a) (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 17:11

Hi Guys:

In or around August, I planted a young orchid tree about six feet tall. It went through a letter heat stress during the August-September heat, but flourished once the weather cooled down. About two weeks ago, in Tucson, it got to about 24 degrees for three nights in a row, mid-50's during the day, and then warmed back up. I did not cover the tree like I probably should have. The young tree has lost all its leaves. As you can see, the stem is fine but the branches have turned a red-ish color. I know localized discoloration of hard wood tends to mean localized death. I called the nursery, and he said since the tree doesn't have leaves it cannot feed itself. He told me to mix cane sugar with warm water and soak it deep into the roots. I just did that. He told me to begin fertilizing in about a month. He said even if the branches did die, it will grow new ones, possibly on a split trunk, and become a fuller plant.

Based on the picture, where you can see the red discoloration, does anyone have any suggestions? How/when should I prune the dead branches. Do the branches appear dead to you? (I scratched the trunk with my nails and its green, the branches are brittle though.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orchid Tree

• Posted by haname z9 AZ NE Phoenix (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 7:46

Our Hong Kong orchid tree froze the first year we planted it too. The dominant leader was killed back, changing the form of the tree. Now it's more like a large, multi-stemmed shrub but with training it should still look nice.

Hold off on pruning until after all chance of frost has passed for your area. I personally would just wait until after new growth tells you what parts are alive and what parts are dead.

o

• Posted by bolt z8 Phx (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 15:22

I was going to reply, but I noticed that I would have been saying word for word what haname above said!

So it should come back, but it will never look quite the same....

Kevin

o

Well, I nicked the trunk with a knife and it is green beneath the bark. Even some of the branches, though thin, seem to be slightly green inside. After mornings with freeze I've been watering it with a watering can with hot water so the roots warm off quickly.

When should the orchid tree begin leading out again? It's the first I've ever planted. I know crape myrtles are late to leaf out generally but started doing so in early March last year because of our warmer climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here