Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbeehd

Cheap Roses-Worth the trouble?

barbeehd
18 years ago

I was wondering if its worth the toil and trouble to plant those roses at Home Depot that are Grade 1.5 and only $3.27 each, or will they just get all buggy, diseased and turn into an exercise in futility? Anyone know if, with roses as with everything, you only get what you pay for?

Comments (7)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    18 years ago

I dunno but would think that if they are buggy you could just spray them with some kinda Bug-B-Gone. I'm not very versed on roses but for 3 bucks, what the heck? I'd go for it. Maybe someone else, more rose knowledgable than me will pipe up. Good luck at any rate.

Mary

• birdlady_in_mesa
    18 years ago

My experience says NO!!! Go buy the good ones, you will only get 1/2 as many as you would at HD, but they will do much better here in the valley. Just think, you will dig and plant and water and wonder, then when they go belly-up (roots-up?LOL!) in about July/Aug you will kick yourself for putting so much time and energy into them, plus tied up garden space that could be more productive. Save the headache and heartbreak, I finally learned. Only after buying good roses, high quality and preferably *not* bareroot have I finally been able to not return them to Mother Earth toot sweet! :)

My .02 cents
    Susie

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    18 years ago

Points well taken. Thanks Susie.

Mary

• lazy_gardens
    18 years ago

It's more what you take care of, and how, than how much you pay.

"Grade 1.5 and only $3.27 each": the grade has to do with the number of branches, etc. If they are a named variety, they will have ALL the attributes of that variety.

If they fail to thrive, it's more likely that they weren't cared for, planted in the wrong spot, etc.

For roses, plant them EARLY, mulch them well, and water them deep and regular.

• magicgarden_az
    18 years ago

I have bought "cheap roses" at Home Depot. Everything I have ever bought from Home Depot - cheap or otherwise - has done very well because I took care of them. Of my 6 "cheap roses," one has even grown so much and so beautifully that I am training it into a tree. What makes the difference in your garden is not how much you spent - but how much love and attention you give to it - like a child. I really believe that one of the reasons my roses are doing so well is that I have planted geraniums, onions and garlic nearby. Everyone is very happy together.

• janw
    18 years ago

I have planted several from there and they have all done very well If they have them now for $3 I`m heading over there.I agree take care of them.

• barbeehd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, thanks everyone. I went back today and now they are only $1.59 each ! So I will see what happens. I got 4 of them and will give them as much care as they need. Quite a selection at the Alma School/Chandler Rd. location.