Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kingkongos

Late start on Tomatoes?

kingkongos
13 years ago

I started a batch on January 3rd but many of them seem to be getting hit by damping off. I started another batch today as a back up.

What's the latest start any of you have gotten on starting tomato seeds? Was it a successful crop? My microclimates last frost day is said to be March 13.

Comments (17)

• goodluckkitty
    13 years ago

For me, this would be a pretty late start. I am putting 6" plants in the ground next weekend. I expect a good crop if I can keep the sucking insects away this year. Good luck!

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

My transplants are not nearly as big as goodluckkitty's, but I'll put my in their permanent pots in the beginning of February. We'll see what happens.

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    13 years ago

I'll put mine out for grasshopper food errr.... to grow big and strong in my garden, around Valentine's day.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Mine are about 8"+ right now. I plan on planting them Feb 15th which is the last threat of frost.

Looks like I will have extras of Sun Gold, Black Cherry, Cherokee Purple and Toma Verde Tomatillo and Sweet Bell Pepper. Anyone want to trade?

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

thisisme~
    Where do you find the info of the last threat of frost?
    A website?

I'm in Tucson, and more often that not, we have a big one in late march.

JoJo

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Jojo there are lots of places that post these lists. You can either do a search for "First and last threat of frost for Tucson Arizona". Or just click on the link below and scowl down.

Here is a link that might be useful: First and last threat of frost

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Thisisme, I don't have any big plants but I'd love to trade some for a Black Cherry & Sun Gold. I have an extra of the Cerise Orange & Black Krim if you're interested.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Hi az_pamperedchef, I would be interested in a Black Krim. I have read that the Cerise Orange is a lot like Sun Gold which I already have so not interested. I'm in far East Mesa near Apache Junction. Do we live close enough to each other to make a trade?

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Thisisme, unfortunately, I'm in the far West Valley. So I don't think it will work for us. I'm sorry.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

No problem AZ. I saw you asking about them over at the Phoenix Permaculture Guild Forum too. Nice site over there. I wish that Nagami kumquat that was offered up was closer. I would have taken it in a second.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Az ignore that last post. I had you mixed up with greendesert.lol

• goodluckkitty
    13 years ago

Mary-
    We had so many grasshoppers last year. I wonder if chickens would help?!?!
    Dale

• tracydr
    13 years ago

I'm very late, just got mine in soil, having to leave them outside so probably won't germinate for another week after this freeze. I think I'll go to the Tomato Fest and get a bunch of plants, use mine as back-ups and extras. I don't know what my problem is with motivation this winter, I have to get going or it will be summer before I know it!

• luvkuku
    13 years ago

I have bought and planted tomates 3 times already this spring, just because I found a variety I didnt have, but I guess I will have to stop now. Why plant more if they wont even get to produce before its too hot?

• kingkongos
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I repotted the affected plants deeply into home-made compost and fertilized. Over the last 2 months they took off and I ended up with some of the healthiest transplants yet!! I transplanted my 10 inch bushy plants into the garden last Tuesday. I now have 50 backups around the 6 inch stage which I'm just giving away to friends...we'll see if those produce for them in time.

Varieties:

Aunt Rubys German Green
    Riesentraube
    Cherokee Purple
    Amana Orange
    Thessaloniki
    Hungarian Heart
    Hillbilly
    Beefsteak
    unidentifiable red heirloom

• luvkuku
    13 years ago

Oh, I want to be your friend; I dont have any of those. I hope to have a greenhouse up by next winter; at the mercy of my husband's urge to build. I almost prefer paying someone, because then you can predict when it will be finished.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Really nice selection kingkongos.

Here's my grow list...

Sun Gold
    Black Cherry
    Husky Red Cherry
    Juliet
    Cherokee Purple
    Brandywine Sudduth
    Black Prince

A lot of mine were 3-4ft tall when I planted them yesterday. The first 2ft went into the ground. I guess I started them a little to soon or planted them a little late.

If I had more room I would have planted a couple more on your list. A bunch of those are highly regarded in the Tomato Forum. Hopefully you can find homes for all your extras. It would be a shame if any of them went to waste.