Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

January 2014 what looks good/bad in your garden?

grant_in_arizona
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

Can you believe these nice afternoon temps this week? So lovely!

It's fun to see/hear who is growing what, and when, so how about some updates on what looks good/bad in your garden?

In my garden, a noticeable "bad" is my little leaf cordia--it's just a pile of twigs. I'll give it some time before removing it, but so far I'm no impressed, LOL.

As far as good, here's one, my little clump of "cape cowslips" (Lachenalia) is starting to bloom. Neat bulbs that bloom in winter and disappear in summer. I hope you'll take a quick look and enjoy, and that you'll post some updates from your garden too! Happy gardening!
Grant

{{gwi:394458}}

{{gwi:394459}}

Comments (10)

• joncongaroo
    10 years ago

It's been a mild winter so far, only two nights below 32 degrees at my place.

A few things are doing well: Fukushu kumquat
    {{gwi:394460}}
    Eucalyptus torquata
    {{gwi:394461}}
    A visitor enjoying E. torquata nectar
    {{gwi:394462}}
    Agave ovatifolia
    {{gwi:394463}}

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Definitely ... it's the weeds.

The veggie bed is getting some sprouts - spinach, various bok choy varieties, maybe some kale, and the carrots. And weeds.

So far, no lettuce has sprouted, nor onions.

• grant_in_arizona
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fun updates all. I've got a bumper crop of weeds too, lazy.

Great pics, Jon, love the Eucalyptus blooms, and the action shot with the hummingbird, great stuff. That agave is beautiful too!

I've definitely got a bumper crop of lemons and oranges this year, and my first THREE grapefruit fruit, lol, on a very young tree. I do love citrus!

I'm having a bumper crop of leaf lettuce (autumn planted) and cherry tomatoes too. Here's the cherry tomatoes yesterday morning. Obviously no frost at my garden yet this winter--quite a change from last winter!

{{gwi:394465}}

Jack Frost and I ripped out the parent plants of these popcorn cassias a few years ago (they were just getting too rangy), but this summer some seedlings appeared and I'm glad I let them go as they're providing a nice bright spot of yellow on the south side of the house. Being winter blooming means they're susceptible to frost damage, but so far this year they've been unbothered.

{{gwi:394467}}

Finally, this Eremophila carnosa emu bush has been absolutely covered in flowers since October, and they're ORANGE, my favorite color. I need to plant more of these!

{{gwi:394469}}

Keep the pics and updates coming all. Happy gardening!
    Grant

• tucson_tomato
    10 years ago

Most all of my winter garden is doing well this year. I am grateful for the moderate temperature which has done wonders for my plants. That being said I do hope for one cold snap before the end of winter to kill off some more leaf-hoppers and their kin.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Finally saw some lettuce sprouts.

We're concentrating on cleaniup this year, because we're selling the house and moving to NM. :)

If I have leftover compost heaps, can I count on help getting them out of the yard?

• phxlynne
    10 years ago

My Ponderosa and Lisbon lemons are already forming buds, and I'm picking Valencia oranges and Meyer lemons. I'm hoping the broccoli doesn't bolt in this warm weather.

• phxlynne
    10 years ago

Thai chile peppers are looking good,,,

• phxlynne
    10 years ago

...as are Stupice tomatoes, arugula, Black Seeded Simpson and Redina lettuces, Napa cabbage, and Bright Lights swiss chard.

This post was edited by PhxLynne on Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 9:07

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    10 years ago

Wow! Looking good Lynne. If the broccoli bolts, the bees love it.

• nicolep
    10 years ago

Hello green thumbers. I am new too Golden Valley Az..Would really like some hints and helpers on what grows good out here...In So Cal I could throw seed and it would just grow. Here I do not know we have this Clay dirt..Can someone help me out on tips and plant ideas especially flowers? thank you

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!