Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raimeiken1

What's looking good January 2012?

ra
12 years ago

My tropicals are loving our recent warm weather here. I hope the rest of winter continues with no below freezing temps :D

My Alocasia 'Borneo Giant' is loving the shadier area I moved it too.

{{gwi:394568}}

Canna 'Bengal Tiger' still putting out flowers

{{gwi:394569}}

Comments (8)

• HU-17497
    12 years ago

i love your 'Bengal Tiger', how old is it

• ra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This one is going on its second year. It's on a shadier spot closer to the house. The one's that I have out in full sun are just in their first year but grew taller than this one and produced more flowers from spring till fall.

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Great thread, LOL. Love your plants, they're gorgeous. I've always wanted to try Alocasia but was concerned about the dry air. Yours looks great, and the canna is really nice too. I think I spy a fun "Hawaiian spider plant" (Chlorophytum), the kind that has variegated new growth that fades to green? I have a nice one indoors and just "freed" a baby to the great outdoors a few weeks ago, LOL. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous plants with everyone!

Here are a couple of plants looking good so far.

Variegated gazania (G. ripens):

{{gwi:394571}}

Hybrid Aloe 'Cynthia Giddy' which is one of the most floriferous in my garden (and it offsets a lot), so I've planted several dozen of them around the garden. I love the almost-red blooms, and they do a great job kicking off the early part of the Aloe Bloom Season:

{{gwi:394573}}

Lachenalia bulbifera ("Cape cowslips") almost, but not quite open. These are super easy bulbs to grow here, just give them afternoon shade, water once a week when you see leaves and none at all when you don't (summer).:

{{gwi:394575}}

Take care and happy gardening everyone. Keep the pics and updates coming!
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: My January 2012 garden pics (so far)

• ra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah the spider plant grows wild in the shade and LOVES water.

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Tons of blooms in the ground and in containers too. This is such an easy time of year to have lots of easy, fluffy blooms, so I grow a lot of cool-weather plants.

Here's a 48 inch pot with some 'Freckles' geraniums (Pelargoniums) and Mexican sage (Salvia leucantha).

{{gwi:394576}}

Several casual containers blooming away on my south-facing patio:

{{gwi:394577}}

Keep the pics and updates coming!
    Grant

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

My back yard is crowded, full, fun and crazy, but I keep my front yard relatively spare (for me, LOL). Here's a clump of Aloe 'Cynthia Giddy' blooming in the front yard right now. This variety blooms in early winter each year and really does a nice job kicking off the aloe season. There was nothing in this part of the garden four years ago, so I'm pleased to see most of the plants settling in and really thriving. This is the NE corner of my front yard. Hope you look and enjoy. Happy gardening everyone!

{{gwi:394578}}

Take care,
    Grant

• minime8484
    12 years ago

Nice plants, Grant! Is that a Fouquieria I spy in that pic? = )

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Hah, thanks Tristan! Yes, there's a larger one in back left of course, and then a seedling one in the foreground (plain ol' F. splendens, but I do love them and I like to mix in a lot of seedlings with larger plants too). You're good! I was thinking you'd notice, LOL.

Thanks and take care,
    Grant

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County