Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Failed container garden

Posted by P.Hagen Az (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 20:11

In late summer I planted a variety of plants some from seed some from home depot. Veggies,herbs and flowers. In 5 gallon storage tubs. And off the ground. It faces the south and on east and west sides are juniper trees (i think). Of course the cold hasn't helped but it has been a very lack luster success!Planted in MG soil.

P.Hagen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Failed container garden

Hi there, sorry to hear your container gardens didn't do as much as you'd like. Are you trying to grow veggies, or season flowers or what? That will make a big difference.

Obviously veggies for winter differ from those for summer and need to be expected to be replaced. We're coming up on prime planting time soon so maybe you can try again?

If nothing else, toss a bunch of pansies in there and you'll get tons of blooms until it gets hot, then you can add vincas or lantanas for summer? Just a thought.

In any case, several folks have shared this great, local planting calendar so I'll add a link in case you or anyone reading along doesn't already have it book marked.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Take care,
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting guide from the Urban Farm

o

I planted beans just for the h*** of it, frost got them. Planted marigold, cosmos, sunflowers, tomato, patunias and lobilia.And herbs.
( sorry spelling is awful)
P. Hagen

o

When you say "MG soil", do you mean "garden soil" or "potting soil"? I learned the hard way that it makes a difference. The garden soil is meant to be mixed with native soil in the ground. Plants in pots do better with potting soil.

o

Well, I'd just wait another month or so and then load up with pansies, petunias, lobelias, and dusty miller for spring/early summer.

Then when it gets HOT and those plants fade, I'd replace them with vincas or zinnias or celosia.

Like Tomato mentioned, you should be using potting soil in containers and not garden soil (purchased for dug up).

Let us know what you do and how it works out. Don't give up! :)
Happy gardening,
Grant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here