Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raimeiken1

Starting seeds in egg shells!

ra
12 years ago

I found this article and I just had to share it to you guys.

http://indianapublicmedia.org/eartheats/planting-seedlings-eggshells/

really neat idea. I'm tempted to try this out right now but that means I have to crack open a lot of eggs LOL

{{gwi:394750}}

{{gwi:394753}}

Comments (5)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    12 years ago

And carefully crack them open at that. I've seen this before too. You can plant the entire pocket and the shell will be absorbed and is so good for the soil.

Maybe you should have a neighborhood pancake and scrambled egg breakfast one weekend.....or ask at First Watch or Scrambled (in Sunnyslope) to CAREFULLY save you some shells. Trade them back for fresh tomatoes later.

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Fun! Thanks for sharing it. I remember starting seeds in eggshells when I was a kid. We used to put a small hole in the top and bottom and then "blow" out the egg contents (for something that doesn't mind them being pre-scrambled, LOL). It was a fun little experiment and having a tiny hole at the bottom was good for drainage. Let us know if you give it a go and how it works out. Thanks for taking the time/effort to share it!

Happy gardening,
    Grant

• myrtleb
    12 years ago

I did this for the last few years and it works great. the egg cartons fit perfectly on the windowsill. Can be a problem when the cats want the sill too, though. I just started rinsing and saving the shells as i cracked them, putting them back into the carton, and when full, storing them with the garden supplies. Starting about 5 months ahead of seed starting time, there are plenty of eggs to plant in and i just squeeze them to crack them just before putting into the ground.

• Dman2
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I wanted to plant some Melrose Peppers and remember reading somewhere to not start pepper plants in pete starter kits. Was considering using cardboard egg crates but this is even better. I could remember as a kid, one of my favorite green thumbs(Linda), grinding eggshells and adding them to soil for nutrients. So this makes total sense to me. I think I found my solution to not using pete for my peppers. Will let you know how it turns out which i am sure will be great.

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Awesome, Dman2, keep us posted on how it goes. Happy sowing and growing! Take care, all, Grant.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor