Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_w7eta

How many snap bean plants, and plantings for a single bean lover?

Bob-W7ETA
12 years ago

I've been reading for a few days about growing vegetables in the desert where the temps are regularly over 100F for 3-4 months during the summer�Tucson AZ

Right now I'm over loaded with information?

Based upon the theory and experience last summer while I was in Maine, I've decided to go with a SQF around 4X8 or slightly larger. I built the 4X8 frame, mixed all of the ingredients for Mel's soil. My friend, who invited me to spend the summer, was against mulching the plants. Guess who wound up dealing with the weeds?

My main reason for starting a garden is that I'm a tomato and corn snob�I just won't buy the imitation corn and card board tasting tomatoes in grocery stores. Plus when I was a child living in New England I used to LOVE string beans, the kind that had an real string along it's back. As you have probably guessed that is another vegetable I won't buy in grocery store.

While I was in Maine I had easy access to fresh REAL corn, peas, beans, cherry tomatoes, and pickling cukes�love them in my salads. Finding tomatoes that tasted like tomatoes, other than one farm stand that sold cherry tomatoes, was next to impossible!

So, my top priority is to grow tomatoes, beans, and a few peppers.

SO far I've got a list of at least 12 tomato varieties that might do well up to our 100F summer heat.

I ideally I'd like to grow 7-10 tomato plants, perhaps in a separate SQF?

But, right now I'm trying to figure out "snap" beans. How many bean plants should I plant at a time? How many plantings? If I had enough beans to have to heaping plate fulls each week I'd be very happy. I found one posting of someone who had 17 square feet of beans.

My search in the Beans and Peas forum didn't find any info on how many.

I've been a widower for a while now, so it's just me drooling for string beans.

I've found some plants that are rumored to do well in spring and into part of the summer: Contender Bountiful, Hilda, Rattlesnake, Dragon Tongue bush beans, Brio,Festina, Romanette, and Romano Gold. I've also seen mention that some long beans can do well here.

If the mythology that any bean can be eaten when the pod is small there are a few native ones I can try.

While planning this garden I have to keep in mind that I will have to protect everything from small rodents, mice, up to Javalina, rabbits, and birds.

Oh. I have space for multiple SQFs with full sun all day.

TIA to anyone who takes time to offer suggestions.

Bob

Comments (7)

• thisisme
    12 years ago

Welcome to Arizona gardening. Its not required but recommended that your tomatoes either get afternoon shade or be protected from the afternoon sun with 50% shade cloth. I'm not sure how many bean plants you will need. I have not been as successful with them as some other members have been.

I started a thread about tomatoes in the tomato forum that may be of help to you. The link is below.

Peppers grow well here but do better with afternoon shade. From time to time a farmer will stop by and say they grow in Arizona without shade or shade cloth. Farming is different than vegetable gardening though. I drive by some farms on occasion that are not far from my home. Each time I do the temps drop as much as 5-10 degrees, sometimes more at night. A field full of peppers or tomatoes is evaporating massive amounts of water over a large area which drops the temperature and increases relative humidity. In my garden I can have 8 percent relative humidity at 110 degrees with a 15 mile an hour wind speed. At the same time in the farmers field its 99 degrees with 50 percent humidity with a 15 mile an hour wind. That dryer wind in the home garden in full afternoon sun can suck the life out of a plant.

My main crops are squash, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and a few melons during the summer. If you click on the photo it will take you to my photobucket page where you can see more pictures.

{{gwi:48119}}

Here is a link that might be useful: What varieties will continue to produce through hot weather?

• Bob-W7ETA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your time, information, and the pixs.

Since I haven't done this in AZ, whatever I think off seems easy to do.

Right now I'm reminding my self that this year's garden is an experiment for next year's garden. While I want everything to produce what I'm looking for, I have to be mindful that this a trial run for next year.

While I figure out what dimensions I will start with I also have to figure out how to protect my garden from mice, pack rats, javalina, tons of rabbits etc.

I'm not sure how to protect from the javalina. They will go on my back patio and batter my garbage can to knock it over.

My current guess is to plant 32 pole beans, two different types, and to plant 32 bush beans, also two different types.

Best from Tucson
    Bob

• thisisme
    12 years ago

Bob just click on the link and take a look at the "Frequently Bought Together" items which should be all you need for your pest problem.

Its not powerful enough to do any permanent harm to man or beast but it get the job done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electric Fence

• naycat
    12 years ago

Never thought of an electric fence. Not bad. Rodents I would use a sonic repeller. My first year growing green beans I planted in ground, and I planted the whole package, it was enough for my sister and I.

Also when you choose your tomatoes, I have grown Tim's Krim, Black Prince, Early Girl, Celeberty, and Bush Goliath. My favorate, is Tim's Krim, and Black Prince.

Best secret when planting tomatoes, is to plant the tomatoe plant in the soil half way up the plant. The little hairs on the plant turns into roots and makes your plants bigger and stronger.

have fun

• Bob-W7ETA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both for your time.

What a great idea! A small electric fence from the middle of the sides down to the base, almost touching the ground. That would allow me to just use bird netting to cover the rest.

And many thanks for the tips on tomatoes.

It looks as if I will only be able to grow 4 or 5 unless I try containers.

If I can get 4 or 5 varieties growing I can pick the winners for next year?

Best from Tucson
    Bob

• aztreelvr
    12 years ago

Keep in mind that the pollen from tomatoes is killed when temps gets into the 90's so you won't get much fruit set during the summer. You can keep tomatoes plants alive during the summer and they will yield again in the fall when the weather cools but fruit quality is not as good. Cherry tomatoes seem to do much better in summer.

Look for early ripening varieties for best results.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 Steps to a Successful Vegetable Garden

• Karen.Joy
    12 years ago

After giving gardening several attempts over the last 10 years, I finally have one I'm really happy with that I've had going for a year. In other words, I'm a gardening newbie. :) I'm in far north Peoria, elevation about 1200'.

From www.nativeseeds.org, I grew Punta Banda cherry tomatoes. They're a little bigger than regular cherry tomatoes, and now that it's cooler, they're producing beautifully. However, I barely kept them alive over the summer due to heat and trouble with winged aphids. However, my 12 plants are now -- still, in January -- producing beautiful fruit. Definitely worth growing.

I was not as pleased with Yoeme Purple String Beans. They're pole beans, and it's said they can be eaten either green or shelled, but they have to be picked quite small to eat green, as they turn fibrous VERY quickly. I planted 30 seeds and reaped about 1/4 - 1/2 pound a week during the summer. Again, they did a little better in the fall weather, and only totally died out in early December.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus