Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Struggling Queen Palms

Posted by evolust (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 08 at 22:35

I just moved into a new house that has 6 queen plams. All of them are looking pretty weak. I already cut down one dead one and dont want to lose any more. I noticed that all my neighbors queens are looking about the same. I bought some fertilizer at Home Depot and applied that, so hopefully that will help. One of the employees told me to put epson salt down with the fertalizer as queens dont get enough salt. Ever heard of that? Help! What else can I do to save these guys. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Struggling Queen Palms

Actually your queen palms look better than mine! We planted some about 4 years ago and they have struggled since. Last summer I started fertilizing them with palm food once a month, working the fertilizer into the soil and watering well. I have noticed that they look somewhat better and are growing. I know queen palms supposedly don't do very well in our hot climate (they are better suited to California) but I am going to give them one more year before I yank them out.

o

Queens are not really suited for this climate as they are a tropical plant and this is not a tropical climate... too hot and dry. However this link may help:

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen Palm Health

o

Thanks for the link!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here