Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverchez

Need help with garden flooding after rain!!

silverchez
11 years ago

I am freaking out! Just planted some rosemary, mint, and lemon balm, and I woke up this morning to find my garden flooded and some of the soil eroded. The area is confined by the patio on one side, a brick wall on the other, and the rest is open lawn (where our future raised garden beds will be).

Should I be concerned? Should I try some method to help with water drainage??

Comments (8)

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    11 years ago

Sucks having your careful gardening work upended by Mother Nature, but all we can do is grin and bear it, then clean up the mess next week.

• silverchez
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah I know :( I was just curious if I needed to find a way to solve this issue, or leave it be. :)

• ChasingCenturies (Arizona 9b)
    11 years ago

What can you do but wait it out? I'd recheck everything (tamp down and resituate as needed) in a couple days once it starts drying out. We do get some pretty fierce rains once in a while, particularly during monsoon season, so you may want to consider a border of some manner to keep soil from washing over the bricks in the future. Good luck! I'm sure everything will be fine.

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

I agree. This happens so infrequently that spending more than 5 minutes and $5 to 'fix' the problem is pointless.

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Fun pic and post, thanks for sharing them. I agree with the others--it really doesn't look THAT bad, and soon enough it'll dry out and all will be fine. I wouldn't worry about it at all. If the soil gets disturbed easily/often you could use some smooth river rock as a mulch/stabilizer (and it's easy to lift a dozen stones to plant a small plant and then put them back in.

Keep us posted on how things work out. Happy gardening!

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

If runoff from your hardscape becomes a problem you could easily buy/install a roll of plastic border edging that will channel away most of the water. You wouldn't need tall edging there unless you were going for some kind of visual effect.

• silverchez
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your insight! I am so excited to have my own little space to garden in, as my bf and I just moved into our first home :) Next on the list: ripping out the grass and installing raised flowerbeds!

I've been reading so much here and on the web...although I've learned a lot, feel like I have a ways to go! :)

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

"I've been reading so much here and on the web...although I've learned a lot, feel like I have a ways to go! :)"

Don't worry; we all feel that way!