Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brugpuppy

Blood Oranges

brugpuppy
12 years ago

Anyone know where I can get a blood orange tree please? Does Lowe's ever carry them? I assume they grow just as well in Phoenix area as other citrus do?

Any particular variety better than others for the Phoenix area?

Thanks

Comments (12)

• euqruob
    12 years ago

My blood orange (Sanguinelli) has just produced its first 3 ripe fruit after 3 years, its a dwarf, and had a tough first 2 summers.

I have seen dwarf Sanguinelli and Moro's at Baker's on 40th St. and Osborne. They aren't as good with the extreme heat. Same with Citron's, I've killed two of them..

• thisisme
    12 years ago

They had them last year at our local Lowe's. If your local Lowe's does not have any ask to talk to the Nursery Purchasing manager and ask them to order you one. I asked for three different citrus tree they did not have in stock last year. They were able to get all of them for me in the sizes I wanted within three weeks.

• brugpuppy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Many thanks for the replies. I read that there are desert varieties that like hot days and cold nights. I will do some research and maybe purchase two kinds so that I have a better chance of them surviving. I will try Bakers and ask Lowe's.

• AJBB
    12 years ago

You may want to call Greenfield Citrus in Mesa for their opinion. Make sure to talk directly to John and not the support staff.

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

I love blood oranges too. I don't have any blood oranges in my current garden (though I have tons of other oranges), but I grew 'Tarocco' in my last Scottsdale garden and it started bearing after two years and did really well. Let us know what you select and how it works out. You can't go wrong with Greenfield Citrus.

Happy gardening!
    Grant

• AJBB
    12 years ago

I think Tarocco does the best out here. I'm not certain how pink it gets though...

• pgde
    12 years ago

My Moro is doing great down here in Tucson, even after the big fr**** we had last winter. I hate using that word in conjunction with my citrus :-).

P.

• snooper
    12 years ago

I saw several Blood Orange trees at Costco last Friday, $19.99@. I've never tasted a blood orange so I opted to buy a "clementine".

• euqruob
    12 years ago

Trader Joe's has some nice bloods for sale now, don't think they are the Moro, but wonderful. Squeeze a slice into a nice white beer like Blue Moon, and its amazing!

• boids
    12 years ago

I was at greenfield nursery Saturday picking up a cara cara orange tree and they had blood orange trees on site.

• brugpuppy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for all the good information..... I will be purchasing my citrus mid march and doing a lot of research in the meantime. Where is Trader Joe's? Hopefully Costco still has bloods in mid March.

• euqruob
    12 years ago

I saw some at Sprouts as well, and at Fresh and Easy.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting