Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blood Oranges

Posted by brugpuppy 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 13, 12 at 23:27

Anyone know where I can get a blood orange tree please? Does Lowe's ever carry them? I assume they grow just as well in Phoenix area as other citrus do?
Any particular variety better than others for the Phoenix area?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blood Oranges

My blood orange (Sanguinelli) has just produced its first 3 ripe fruit after 3 years, its a dwarf, and had a tough first 2 summers.

I have seen dwarf Sanguinelli and Moro's at Baker's on 40th St. and Osborne. They aren't as good with the extreme heat. Same with Citron's, I've killed two of them..

o

They had them last year at our local Lowe's. If your local Lowe's does not have any ask to talk to the Nursery Purchasing manager and ask them to order you one. I asked for three different citrus tree they did not have in stock last year. They were able to get all of them for me in the sizes I wanted within three weeks.

o

Many thanks for the replies. I read that there are desert varieties that like hot days and cold nights. I will do some research and maybe purchase two kinds so that I have a better chance of them surviving. I will try Bakers and ask Lowe's.

o

• Posted by AJBB none (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 20:47

You may want to call Greenfield Citrus in Mesa for their opinion. Make sure to talk directly to John and not the support staff.

o

I love blood oranges too. I don't have any blood oranges in my current garden (though I have tons of other oranges), but I grew 'Tarocco' in my last Scottsdale garden and it started bearing after two years and did really well. Let us know what you select and how it works out. You can't go wrong with Greenfield Citrus.

Happy gardening!
Grant

o

• Posted by AJBB none (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 16, 12 at 0:28

I think Tarocco does the best out here. I'm not certain how pink it gets though...

o

• Posted by pgde Tucson AZ Zone 9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 16, 12 at 22:10

My Moro is doing great down here in Tucson, even after the big fr**** we had last winter. I hate using that word in conjunction with my citrus :-).

P.

o

I saw several Blood Orange trees at Costco last Friday, $19.99@. I've never tasted a blood orange so I opted to buy a "clementine".

o

Trader Joe's has some nice bloods for sale now, don't think they are the Moro, but wonderful. Squeeze a slice into a nice white beer like Blue Moon, and its amazing!

o

I was at greenfield nursery Saturday picking up a cara cara orange tree and they had blood orange trees on site.

o

thanks for all the good information..... I will be purchasing my citrus mid march and doing a lot of research in the meantime. Where is Trader Joe's? Hopefully Costco still has bloods in mid March.

o

I saw some at Sprouts as well, and at Fresh and Easy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here