Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay_rad_gw

Blueberries

jay-rad
15 years ago

I want to grow some blueberries in my garden. I live in Buckeye, Az. Many people have told me that blueberries won't do well in Arizona. But I was reading on-line that Rabbiteye and Southern High Bush varieties do very well.

So I was wonderin what types are best and a nursery where I could buy them near Buckeye.

Comments (13)

• nullzero
    15 years ago

Southmoon, Blueray, Misty, Sunshine Blue, Legacy, O'Neal, and Sharpblue. Would all probably do well in any part of AZ if protected from the sun burn with some partial shade barriers. These are all zone 9 to 10 blue berries.

As for the soil I think most of AZ is alkaline... So I would recommend planting all the blue berries in large pots with good acidic potting soil. From my experience in southern california with the blue berries is;

Sunshine Blue, 2yr old is nice decorative and seems to love the weather but its very small dwarfing plant and its blue berry yield is on the low side.

Bluemoon, 2yr old this one started to really take off the last few months after coming out of a semi dominant stage. Looks like the yield is going to be nice this year with a good amount of blue berries.

Misty, 3yr old. I bought this a 2yr old plant from a home depot. The first year I got it huge yields of blue berries with good taste. This one is a monster and is about 5ft tall and thrives in a medium large pot.

Sharpblue, 2yr old about the same as the Southmoon.

O"Neal, 2yr old... seems to not be doing as well as the others. I think it may have to do with the potting mix. I recently switched out the soil with more acidic pine based mix and added more aluminum sulfate.

Blueray, 2yr thriving similar to sharpblue and southmoon.

I dont have legacy yet but I am tempted to buy it!

• jay-rad
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok. Thanks 4 ur response.

• motown_gardener
    15 years ago

i live in mesa and found them in the garden section of wal-mart. not sure what variety. and i added the needles from my christmas tree to the soil. i think it would have been ok but my dog ate it. i kept it under our trampoline so it got a shady sunlight.

• landey1230
    15 years ago

I live in Buckeye, as well. I go to: Elgin Nursery & Tree Farms (623) 936-1100
    8606 W Mcdowell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85037

Last time I went, late December, they had blueberry plants. You may want to call them and ask. They are very helpful. I've never tried growing blueberries, but I'm about to try grapes. Lowes on Watson had a sale on bare root plants. They have some things left, but not much. I bought the last grape plant last night. Good luck.

• growingup
    15 years ago

Geez, I have no idea what variety I grew, but I grew them last year (Tucson) and they produced great, all they way up until my dogs ate it. I just planted a new plant in the back yard from home depot so we'll see how that goes. It didn't have a variety on it. The first bush I bought from Mesquite Valley Growers so that could have made all the difference. I think if they sell it out here, it should do well under the right conditions. I placed mine where they will only get direct sun in the morning and not in the afternoons.

• dustbunni
    15 years ago

I saw blueberry plants at Walmart today. I don't remember the variety but I'm thrilled to learn that you can grow them in Tucson. That means I probably can grow some too. I get the really hot summers but have colder winters. I made a note the suggestion to give them direct morning sun and some afternoon shade. This is really a neat discovery.

• dustbunni
    15 years ago

I saw blueberry plants at Walmart today. I don't remember the variety but I'm thrilled to learn that you can grow them in Tucson. That means I probably can grow some too. I get the really hot summers but have colder winters. I made a note the suggestion to give them direct morning sun and some afternoon shade. This is really a neat discovery.

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

If anyone on here is a member of Dave's Garden, there's a co-op going on right now (it closes Sunday evening)... Anyway, they have four varieties of blueberries, that all appear to be low chill southern varieties. They also have bananas, colocasia and alocasia. Its the Agristarts tropical co-op. Prices range from about a dollar a plant to $2.50, you'll need to be a paying member of dave's garden to participate.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/950430/

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

Today I put an order in for Sunshine Blue, Sharpblue and O Neal. Fingers crossed!! I am going to try to make some cutting plants of sunshine blue for a little hedge. I ordered from Burnt Ridge. Time will tell!!

• nullzero
    15 years ago

Brunt Ridge is a good company. Good luck with your blueberries! You growing in pots or ground?

15 years ago

Mullzero, I had planned on putting them in the ground, and I did read your advice about containers. Our soil is much like yours. Alkaline, so I will be ammending it with a lot of peat moss, sulfer, etc. Containers are tough for me because they are so heavy to move. I planned on putting these in morning sun with afternoon shade on an East Facing wall area. I just got the email from Burnt Ridge, and they will be shipping in March. Didn't give me a date, but March gives me time to figure out where they should go. Any reason I shouldn't put them in the ground? Do they sucker like crazy?

• nullzero
    15 years ago

I would avoid planting in the ground. Plant the blueberries in containers around 10gal capacity. If it is hard for you to move the pots then I would get little wheel carts to put under the pots. For the planting mix I use the one highly recommended under the container forums. You may want to get some time released drip irrigation going into the pots (to avoid dry out in the summer heat)

*3 to 5 parts fine pine bark
    *1 part peat moss
    *1 part perlite
    *dash of lime
    *dash of time release fertilizer
    *I add about 1 cup of aluminum sulfate for a container around 10gal capacity. (this is to make the soil a little more acidity for blueberries)

15 years ago

My blueberries arrived today! OH the anticipation when I cut open the shipping box. What a surprise when I faced 3 blueberry plants with their roots in a ball of soil! No little pot to contain the dirt!! They were covered with wet newspaper and wrapped in a plastic bag.

I'm out of town this weekend, so back they went in their plastic bag and their shipping box waiting for my return on Sunday nite. I'll pot them up Monday and I'll use your sugested potting mix.

Mulzero, you never mentioned why NOT to put them in the ground. I'd love that little one Sunshine Blue, to replace some ugly shrub hedges I have. They suggest you prune before you plant, so I'll be trying to root the cuttings I prune for sure!!

WHY not in the ground?
    Suzi

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company