Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any predictions for the last freeze in the Valley?

Posted by toucan 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 0:58

Any predictions for the last freeze in the Valley?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any predictions for the last freeze in the Valley?

Jan 16.

o

Believe it or not, there's a historical record of predicted first and last frosts. Not that you can believe anything any longer, what with our upside down weather patterns. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: First and last frost data

o

This is one of my favorite fun tools. You can zoom right on down to your own neighborhood to see your average last frost date, which can vary quite a bit depending on where you are. My average last frost date is Feb 21 - 29, but just a few blocks north of me, it's March 1 - 10, and a few miles east of me, it's March 11 - 20.

Arizona Interactive Last Frost Map

o

My prediction . . .last week

o

Tonight for some folks here, especially in outlying areas. Maybe even later in the week. Or next week, or next month.... Given this weather, who the heck knows?

o

I would love to have a freeze in the middle of July.

o
This is so Cool :)

• Posted by haname z9 AZ NE Phoenix (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 12:09

I just learned about Wunderground on the Valley Permaculture forum and found a private weather station right in my neighborhood. This morning we had frost and I'm so glad we covered the delicate plants!

Here is a link that might be useful: WunderMap

o

Allow me to revise my earlier optimistic prediction.

2/12

o

LOL! Lose anything this time around?

o

Not that I know of. All in all, we were very fortunate, suffering through consecutive nights of 25F, 24F, 18F, 22F, 30F in Jan. Melocactus, Sansevieria, tender Mamms, and more than 190 Agaves all made it through. Other than tip-burn on some tender Sansevierias and Agaves, and a top we'll need to lop off a Pilocereus, we came through really well. Our latest worries about the recent freeze (31F, 29F) are about how wet it was, but it will take a while to be certain all the Mamms survived.

In any case, it's over now; AFAIK, serious freeze threat ends in the middle of Feb, so we're free and clear!

o

Lost a huge passiflora. Darn, I thought I'd get fruits this year. Hopefully, it comes back from the ground but I doubt it.

Supposed to freeze tonight as well.

o

LOL at your prediction revision, GermanStar! Sorry to folks who lost plants or had damage. I had just a touch of frost Wednesday morning--HATE.

I'm ready for the heat. Bring it on!
Happy gardening all,
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden February 2013

o

Color me ever hopeful. My prediction for next winter is a frost-free season. After this winter, I figure Mother Nature owes us one, don't you agree?

o

Grant, hold on there!! We don't need no stinkin' heat! At least I don't. Hate, hate, hate summer, aka Hades. I'd like to have a normal spring, a nice fall and a temperate winter. And skip summer completely!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here