Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agility_mom

Cheapest place to buy shade cloth

agility_mom
13 years ago

Since it looks like I will need lots of shade cloth the next couple of years to protect my new fruit trees, does anyone have a cheap source for this stuff?

Comments (22)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Well it depends on if you are talking row cover material or shade cloth. A lot of people use row cover for shade cloth. Real shade cloth is a lot more durable than row cover but real shade cloth is also a lot more expensive.

Here is a good source for row cover material in lots of different weights and sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Row Covers and Hardware

• turtleman49
    13 years ago

Call Arizona Bag in Phoenix.. they always have remnants for sale also

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

Gempler's is WAY less expensive ...

Az Bag was too expensive for us ... :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Gempler's Shade Cloth

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Thanks mangledmind, they have great prices on the real thing. I'm building a shade structure for my tomatoes and I think I just changed my mind on what to cover it with.

• pgde
    13 years ago

Which blocking percentage are you looking at in Gempler's?

I wonder which would be appropriate here in Tucson.

Thx,

P.

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

thisisme,
    you're welcome .... we went thru a similar thread here at GardenWeb last year when I asked the very same question ...

pgde,
    we purchased the 50% and hinged grommets for here in Phoenix ...

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I purchased a 10'X12' 50% shade cloth. The order conformation said "Estimated to ship within 38 day(s)"

I sure hope it ships a lot sooner than that.

I have my own grommets and I ordered some 12" Ball Bungees from Amazon. I plan on attaching it to a structure made out of 2"x4" material that will shade the plants from the afternoon sun. It will also shade me from the afternoon sun while I'm picking tomatoes.

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

we got the hinged grommets so we could use it over our 12'x12' gazebo that lost it's cheap import fabric a couple wind storms ago ... works great ...

they ship VERY fast ... ours only took about a week to arrive ...

• agility_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thisisme, I am looking for shade cloth for this time but I am interested in the floating row cover at a later time to protect the trees from birds etc. I have used this stuff lots of time for starting and protecting my vegetables. It is great stuff. So, thank you for the site because I can use that in the near future.

mangledmind, what a awesome site. So many things that I can use beside the shade cloth! I am working on an order already :)

turtleman, what a great lead. I had never heard of this place before and will have to check this place out. The more resources the better.

• luvkuku
    13 years ago

What percentage of shading do we need here in the Phoenix area?

• thisisme
    13 years ago

luvkuku keep in mind you only need shade cloth to protect from the afternoon sun. 40-50% is recommended. I went with the 60% because they were back ordered for over 30 days on both the 40% and 50% shade cloth. I figured if 100% shade from the afternoon sun is acceptable and 40-50% is recommended then 60% would also work.

• kingkongos
    13 years ago

At the end of May, I put 50% shade cloth up over my entire enclosed structure so that it's shaded all day. 100 degrees at 10 or 11am is pretty intense sun.

• luvkuku
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input. I will have to get some and try it for all the time, as I cant be taking it up and down every day.

• newtoucan
    13 years ago

If I need to cut the shade cloth to fit, how do you secure the shade cloth to the poles, because the place I cut it won't have the pre-installed grommets there.

• newtoucan
    13 years ago

i didn't want to deal with cutting or anything so i bought the knitted shade cloth at Catalogclearance.com. They seemed to have the best price. It's taped and grommeted with 10 year warranty. It was about $89 for 12' x 20'.

• sinta
    12 years ago

We, hebei sinta wire mesh factory supply cheap shade cloth / shade net / HDPE net / sun shade net in China. welcome to contact me +86 15930159213 or talk on line by MSN: chinasinta@hotmail.com

Here is a link that might be useful: chinasinta cheap shade cloth

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I have redneck shade cloth this year. Old, white bed sheets have been working really well. I didn't want to invest since I'm hoping that next year will be my last summer in AZ!

• mister_gin
    12 years ago

The 10'x12' 50% shade cloth I just got from Gempler's was a good price. Using a 15% off code found at retailmenot.com made it even better.

• azbookworm
    12 years ago

Anyone try Aluminet Shade cloth? http://www.growerssolution.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=aluminet&Store_Code=GS

Would it reduce the heat inside with its reflective surface.

• turtleman49
    12 years ago

Aluminet does, I have it on two of shade houses I use to harden off material coming out of the greenhouses, along with one of the houses I use for all my grafted seedlings, We recorded temps on average 7 to 9 degree cooler inside the houses... It reflects the frost/cold also.

• azcitrus
    12 years ago

I just got 6ft of shade cloth at Lowes for $12. It's the same stuff they use above the garden center. I did have to ask an associate to cut off what I needed, but it was no biggie. They sell bigger pre-packaged ones for $30 too

I used the shade cloth to shade a peach tree. I used 4 fence posts I already had lying around to surround the tree, and secured the cloth with zip ties. It's working great, and cheap. I actually have enough shade cloth leftover to use on another tree, if needed.

• philthy
    12 years ago

Would sunscreen material work out? I need to shade a Jacaranda that is growing back from being accidentally cut down, but the sun is burning the leaves off.

Figure I can build a large box from 2x2s and staple some sunscreen material to it.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor