Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomato seedlings leaves turing yellow

Posted by butcher_boy (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 5, 09 at 2:47

My seedlings seem to be growing very slow. I did move them into 3" jiffy pots when they where about 2 inches tall.
now it seems they have slowed down their growth and the leaves (seed leaves) are turning yellow.
I check the web some people said it could be from over watering. I held back the watering and still yellow leaves. Some have began to fall off.
I am now thinking it is a deficiency in the soil. ( when I replanted them in jiffy pots I just used the seed starting soil). do you think this could be it?
I have the plants in direct sunlight on the window sill do you think they are getting too hot? the house is around 70-76 during the day and drops to 70 or 68 at night.
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomato seedlings leaves turing yellow

It sounds like you have a nutrient problem. Mix a 1/4th strength fertilizer solution and water the plants once a week with it. The current yellow leave will more than likely not survive but the new ones will be green and lively. In the future you should begin this procedure after the second true leaves BEGIN to appear.

o

Thanks for the tip. I tried posting a response earlier but I guess it didn't go through. The only fertilizer I found was tomato plant food (miracle-gro) I will try the method you said to use. and thanks for the great info.

o

I read your post... my seedlings leaves are turning yellow too. I have them in slow release fertilizing potting soil. All of my 100 other seedlings I'm growing are doing great, except for my "delicious" variety tomatoes and "Roma" seedlings. They are growing..but the leaves are really yellow. Is this normal?

o

No. Fertilize as I outline above. Those pre-fertilized potting soils are not uniformly mixed before packaging, that is why I don't buy them. I'd rather be in control rather relying on some other person.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here