Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrhodo

Daughter's Tucson yard

jrhodo
13 years ago

Hi all. So glad I had your help before I went to landscape my daughter's yard last week. I kicked butt for five days, but was only able to get the front yard done and trees in the back. Guess I'll have to go back next year!

We put in 10 1/2 tons of stone. The plants consisted of cacti and succulents because that's what they wanted, Hesperaloe and Ocotillo included. The back yard will get shrubs and perennials. My timing was good because everything we bought had made it through the frost/freeze.

When I get back to gardening here in Michigan, I will never, ever complain about my soil again. I've never had to use a pick ax to dig a hole! Turns out the previous owners used the front yard as a parking lot.

Here's a link to a not too good video of what I did.

Jean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUolQeol4IM

Comments (5)

• piranhafem
    13 years ago

Nice job! What trees did you put in the back?

As for the soil: if you didn't hit caliche, you're lucky, and could have had even more to complain about. Not even a pick axe can penetrate a thick layer of it. Jackhammers and dynamite can become necessary.

--Maureen

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

I had to laugh ... our soil is brutal ...

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Great work! Thanks very much for taking the time and effort to share the results with everyone. It looks nice!

Your comment about the pick axe made me laugh. My soil was native desert before the house was built and the soil is awful, LOL. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my pick axe. I use it all the time, but especially in summer when the soil is especially hard (I wear safety goggles when I use it, and yes, I've seen actual sparks!).

Great work--thanks again for the fun video. Keep us posted. If she takes any pics in future months, we'd love to see.

Take care,
    Grant

• jrhodo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hope that my design didn't scream "I'm from the Midwest!"

The trees we planted Desert Museum Palo Verde, Weeping Acacia and three citrus for my son-in-law. They will be the test to see if either of them are gardeners. He might hook up the grey water from their washer.

I can't wait to see the yard as it matures. I know I overplanted. If everything lives I'll be removing/rearranging plants in a few years. Good excuse to visit your area and my daughter.

My son-in law said that their house is in an old river bed so there shouldn't be any caliche. He is an electrician and has to dig often. Still, it took him half an hour to dig a hole for a three gal. pot. There are many trees on their street, unlike other neighborhoods I saw.

Thanks again, I'll be back.

Jean

• greendesert
    13 years ago

little trick for digging holes here: water really well the day before. makes a big difference.

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA