Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corn Varieties

Posted by sownsow 9b az (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 10:32

Last year I grew a wonderful corn crop only to discover the kernels were yellow, hard and waxy. What we used to call cow corn.
Can you suggest a variety that handles the AZ heat and has edible ears of fresh corn???
Am thinking of using a 3 sisters configuration if that matters.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corn Varieties

Here is some varieties to look into for AZ. They are all corns cultivated by the southwest and mexico region native American tribes. I think your best bet is the Black Aztec Corn.

BLACK AZTEC CORN. Grown originally by the ancient Aztecs 2,000 years ago, this truly revered corn is drought tolerant, delicious and well worth growing in today's modern garden. The medium-sized ears have an old fashioned first class sweet corn taste in the white or "milk" stage and the ears will turn a deep jet black when fully mature for drying at which point it is ground for flour. Black Aztec is a link with the distant past when it was the mainstay of a whole civilization. 85 days.

HOPI BLUE CORN. Heirloom Blue Corn of the Hopi Indians, original strain, very ornamental but can also be ground for flour. 110 days.

SMOKE SIGNALS POP CORN is an American native heirloom that produces 4"-7" multi-colored ears on 8' stalks. The popcorn is tender and delicious and these are also nice decoratives. 100 days.

*descriptions taken from www.cherrygal.com*

o

thanks for the follow up. what a great source for heirloom seeds! happy diggings...

o

Here's a link to a great article on growing sweet corn in Arizona. Several varieties are mentioned as well as tips on soil preparation and pests.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Sweet Corn

o

The link to Growing Sweet Corn was also very helpful..
I have decided to go with.
Early Sunglow
Sliver Queen
and
Peaches & Cream.
All normal hybrids (su).

Question One: is it ok to grow all three in the same area. (cross pollinization issues?)
The seed bag says to plant above 55 or 65 degrees soil temp. Is that now or later? Should I start seeds indoors and transplant?

Thanks for all the advice..

o

I hope you didn't get a horrific bust on those corn varieties! With recent droughts & hot weather, about the best-looking corn stalks I have are the Hopi blue corn & another arid-climate corn I got seed for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here