Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tecoma Stans

Posted by immobilus Tucson 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 11:55

Sorry for all the questions, but this is only my second winter in Tucson since buying my house and landscaping. Back in August I bought a hybrid from the ASU coop selling at Lowes in Tucson, Tecoma Stand "Sparky," and left it potted. It didn't like being root bound in the pot (needed daily watering, so I planted it in October. It maintained its leaves until the first frost in December and has since lost them all. See photo. Is this normal, does it look dead, and will it likely grow back from the roots if so? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tecoma Stans

immobilus,

Tecoma Stans is deciduous and will loose its leaves during the winter.

It should leaf out when warmer weather arrives.

dlg421

o

I've 'lost' mine in severe frosts, too. Mine have never lost their leaves in winter except in frosts. I just cut off dead wood sometime in March and they come back beautifully.

o

Yup, in unusually cold winters Tecoma stans and the hybrids will get zorched and lose their leaves. Yours *should* bounce back in late spring. I'd just give it some time. Keep us posted!

o

Mine gets whacked by the cold every year in Z8 Texas and it comes back from the ground.

o

My 5' tall yellow bells got zapped by the frost... A friend advised me to cut them to the ground like I would a lantana w/frost damage. Anyone have experience? I'd hate to cut them back so severely if not necessary...

o

I whack mine back once I see the new growth. I do it every year. Sometimes I am lazy or have too much work going on and the leaves just grow larger that the old deadwood. I am a mess sometimes. I will go and snap a few branches off at a time just to play pretend I am gardening.

o

LOL, wantonamara! Seems we are two peas in a pod. ;o)

About cutting tecoma stans back: Wait till you see new growth, i.e., green leaves and cut back the branches that *don't* have any. No need to whack it all the way to the ground.

o

I think that we should always tell the truth. The garden in my head is way different than the garden in the ground. Working 12 hour days gets in the way of the garden in my head.

o

Ditto that. I don't pretend to call my garden anything but accidental - even when I planted something intentionally. :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here