Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas for replanting totem pole cactus

Posted by crista Sunset 13 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 11:58

My large totem pole cactus fell over after the rain and wind we had last week. I've dug out dirt from the main root area to let the exposed roots dry out in case any broke. From this point I need suggestions on next steps. Should I dig out any more of the roots to prevent them from breaking when we bring the cactus back up to vertical? I figure I'll need to use tow straps to secure the arms together so they don't break off, then build a scaffolding of some sort around it once it's up to provide support so it doesn't fall over again. On the other hand, is this a job for a professional??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ideas for replanting totem pole cactus

I don't know the answer to your concern. Maybe needs better drainage so more roots can grow to hold the cactus in.

I always wondered what those cactus were called. I love the look of those. Very nice. Hope you get some good ideas from others.

o

Maybe cut it back so it's less top heavy and replant it? You could replant the cuttings.

o

I'm thinking along the lines of nickw....instead of focusing on getting the whole totem back up, would you consider planting some arms separately and letting it re-grow to its former height? Maybe plant a cluster of them a foot or so apart and the roots will mingle and the plant be stronger.

Sorry to hear that happened Crista, good luck for a good solution.

o

Yep, I do think there's going to be some trimming involved here. Sigh.

o

Bummer! That's a nice looking specimen. I agree with your initial thoughts and what the other folks have mentioned. I'd trim off enough of the branches to be able to lift it back up and to not have it lean in the direction it fell, and then I'd lift it on up and really tamp down the soil. Putting a nice big rock nearby to stabilize it might help--plus it would look great too. You can just store the cuttings somewhere for several days to many weeks and then re-plant them. Good luck! Let us know what you do and how it works out! Happy gardening!

o

You could also give cuttings away to other friendly forumers :-p

o

On eBay totem pole cactus cuttings are expensive. If you do cut it and plant the cuttings you will be amazed at how fast they grow. In a few years you will have a small forest of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here