Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtoucan

Wax Jambu -- Black Pearl

newtoucan
12 years ago

Anyone growing Wax Jambu successfully here in Phoenix? Can you tell me more about growing it here or is it a futile effort. I don't have a greenhouse.

Comments (8)

• az_pamperedchef
    12 years ago

What is wax jambu?

• TropicShawn
    11 years ago

I would be interested to know as well. My girlfriend is from Hawaii where these are called Mountain Apples. She says they are delicious so I would love to grow one if possible.

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got an answer from someone on Ebay who was selling it and he said it would be too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. But, I'm not always deterred by the impossible. If anyone is successful growing let me know.

• Umpah
    11 years ago

I just received a Wax Jambu tree (Not Black Pearl) and need to know if it can stand full sun in Phoenix, AZ. I understand it will need help through any cold days in winter but can I plant it in full Phoenix sun.

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfortunately, from what I'm told by one growers is that it is very difficult to grow Wax Jambu successfully in Phoenix with our temp extremes.

Another grower says "Some of my customers do able to grow the wax jambu by the wall of the house (north & east side), close to other trees and under shade cloths."

If you tried, definitely give it afternoon shade and put it in a greenhouse in the winter if you have one. I really would like to grow it, so if you are or are not successful, please keep us updated.

• phxplantaddict
    11 years ago

Container grow is best. Bring on a covered pation in winter, below 40ish. full sun fall and spring morning or filtered sun in summer.

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Phxplantaddict - Do you have a Wax Jambu. I think I've seen in other threads that you have lots of tropicals. If so, what's your experience with them. Very interested in knowing if it really can be done.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

If you are talking about Mountain apple, one came with my old house on the windward side of Oahu. A bit of Rain every day , volcanic clay soil, at sea level. 85 was hot. 72 was cold. I never did nothing but keep the vines off of it, eat the fruit, and dig under a lot of fruit into the compost pile. The fruit only lasts a couple of days. the skin is thin and bruises easily. The fruit flies LOVE it. It makes a glorious cabinet wood. Good luck.

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor