Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnycadoseed

I got nailed by a scorpion-Got a question

johnnycadoseed
15 years ago

I was stung on my index finger by a scorpion yesterday morning approx.6:00. I put ice on it, took a claritin (antihistamine)and 2 tylenol. After a day of total agony, I woke this morning with the throbing gone but my finger as still numb and tender. The tingling has subsided down to the elbow so I figure one more day and I should be back to normal. My question is could this have been a bark scorp? I've been stung by bees and hornets and recovered back to normal in a few hours so I pretty sure I'm not illergic. My son was stung last summer and recovered in about 8 hours and here I am 28 hours later and still not right. Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks, John

Comments (37)

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

With any scorpion bite, your best bet is to seek medical attention. The venom of a bee or hornet is irrelevant to the venom of a scorpion. An allergy (or lack of) to one does not mean an allergy to the other. That's like saying because you have an allergy to grass, you'll also be allergic to cats. Different bugs, different venom.

• lotsaplants
    15 years ago

I got stung on my toe a couple of years ago...think it was a bark sorpion from the way it looked.
    Took several days before the numbness went away.
    Luckily I had crutches, cuz it was hard to walk!
    Poison control said to do what you did...pain meds and an antihistimine.
    They didn't seem terribly concerned, said no reason to go to the emergency room unless my throat started swelling shut.
    Hope you're feeling better!
    Sharon

• thisisme
    15 years ago

I have been stung by bark scorpions before. A little tingling and numbness but nothing serious. If you get stung on the face, neck, head upper chest and are finding it difficult to breath seek medical attention. If you do it early a steroidal antibiotic from your doctor will reduce the swelling and its all good.

• homeputter
    15 years ago

I have been stung a couple of times. The stings can vary greatly. The first time was on my foot and like you I was in agony for 12-24 hours (long time ago, can't remember exactly the length of time). The 2nd time I picked up a 2x4 and was nailed on the hand. I expected this too ruin my 3 day week-end - happened Friday afternoon. But it never hurt really bad and in 2 hours it was over. My wife and kids have been stung also, but they are either a lot tougher than me (very likely) or were not stung as bad as that first one I had.

• lazy_gardens
    15 years ago

John -
    Sounds like a normal scorpion sting to me. It's a neurotoxin and it takes a while for the nerves to recover. If it were going to kill you, you'd be having numb lips and difficulty breathing.

It's a pound your head on the wall kind of pain, isn't it.

• cheon57
    15 years ago

There are a number of sub-species of bark scorpions in AZ. I recall reading 40 to 60 as an estimate. The ones to be most wary of are the ones you are least likely to see. They are very small, 1/4" or so in length but are reputed to be the most potent here in AZ. I am out between Sun City and Wickenburg and usually turn everything over and give a good look before I reach for anything. Between the scorpions, black widows, brown recluses, rattlesnakes, etc.. it is far better to proceed with caution when weeding and such especially in areas that are less trafficked.

• johnnycadoseed
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just a quick update. After three months, my index finger has a numb spot where I was stung. It really got me good! The worst part was I was in bed when it happened. It was first light and I reached for the covers to get up and grabed it instead of the covers. It was about 6" from my face!
    The reason why I didn't go to the E.R. was when my son was stung, I took him to the E.R. and they gave him antihistamine, pain pills and a $3,650. bill. I figured I could do the same thing without paying for a new hospital wing. If it would have stung me in my face or neck when I would have probably gone to the E.R. again.
    Now, I check the yard with a black light to see if I have any more visitors. I killed 2 more last week and killed one on my bedroom wall two nights ago. I quess its something I'll have to get used to doing.
    Thank you, all, for your input, John

• taphands
    14 years ago

After 20 yrs here I got my first scorpion sting a couple months ago on the instep of my foot. I have a high pain tolerance, but this was almost unbearable for about 6 hrs.! It felt like a 2nd degree burn spreading almost to my knee with non-stop jolts of electricity on top of the burn.

My family took me to the ER after my body began twitching from the pain. They ruled out anaphylactic shock and neurological involvement & gave me an Rx for Percocet, which had no effect whatsoever. An icebag was the only thing that helped. I had natural childbirth many yrs ago. It was less painful than this experience, partly because nature gives you a short rest after each contraction. There was no respite from this neurotoxin pain.

I had numbness & trouble walking for 2-3 days afterwards. I think the pain varies based on WHERE you are stung as the number of nerve endings on body parts vary, with our feet & hands having very high numbers.By the way, a bark scorpion bite will not cause swelling at the puncture site, as other scorpion species do.

It was quite a learning experience & one I hope never to repeat! I hope your finger gets better soon!

One chemical free way to reduce your chances of bark scorpions in your house is to use a food or gardening grade diatamaceous earth around the base of your home's foundation. A&P Nursery carries it. It gets rid of bugs that scorpions prey upon like crickets, etc.

• aztreelvr
    14 years ago

Here's a link to great information on scorpions from the University of Arizona including ways to control their populations.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scorpions

• connordub
    14 years ago

taphands is correct, diatomaceous earth is a good remedy, but only for the insects that scorpions eat. I recently went out in the garden at sunrise, only to witness multiple scorpions running up my house wall to escape the sun. God, that was like a horror movie... anyways, i realized that i had a brood of crickets in a small brick retaining wall of mine. Use DE heavily, and i mean pour the crap on there, it is completely inert for your plants. Scorpions, realistically, aren't a huge problem (unless you are allergic, or in lesser health), they are just too creepy to look at!

• johnnycadoseed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just got nailed again. It happened a week ago Sunday. This time on my thumb. It was tolerable. I put ice on it as soon as it happened. That helped. I only had the "tingles" in my hand and I wasn't in agony like the one 4 years ago. The nerve endings are dead on my thumb pad but I think they will come back. The nerve endings on my right index finger from 4 years ago never came entirely back

• mjp_80
    10 years ago

ouch. I've never been stung by anything. Bees, scorpion or anything. The only thing that I have been bit by are ants.

Maybe you should really work on sealing up your home so they can't come in.

• jnr1953
    10 years ago

I was stung by an adult scorpion on the tip of my right index finger 9 days ago and the tip of the finger is still numb. Has anyone had that same experience of prolonged numbness after a scorpion sting? Also has anyone had permanent numbness after a sting?

• Fascist_Nation
    10 years ago

Prolonged numbness beyond 3 days is not uncommon. It may last weeks, months and in some cases is permanent. My guess would be 6-8 weeks once the peripheral nerves grow back.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

jnr1953 - It's common. Either it recovers feeling or it doesn't, there's nothing to do but wait.

• Teresa Hargrave
    8 years ago

My bite occured 5 days ago and the tip of my finger is still completely numb. I hate to think this is permanent and am hoping for the best! The first 24 hours were very uncomfortable and the pain went from my finger, into my palm and up into the lower part of my arm. Nothing pleasant about this! Ugh!

• LeslieM peoria az
    8 years ago

The best home remedy for scorpion stings that I have found is a couple shots of tequila. It doesn't really relieve the pain at all, but you don't care as much. ;)

• iandyaz
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ouch.. I've been stung by wasps many times when I accidentally disturbed a nest, but never a scorpion. This sounds a lot worse. Does anyone know if they can sting you through leather gloves?

• LeslieM peoria az
    8 years ago

No they can't.

• newtoucan
    8 years ago

Is there a scorpion hunting service? I can't have cats. Allergic. Can't have chickens. Well I can but not don't have time to take care of them and the plants. There is someone who rents out goats to eat grass. I would pay to rent out chickens to eat my scorpions.

• iandyaz
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You can get cats that don't have the allergy problem (so I hear). My cats are great for scorpion prevention inside the house. All of my cats go after them, but 1 of my cats seems to know what they are as he will meow and bat at it carefully. That's how I usually find them if there's one indoors.

• LeslieM peoria az
    8 years ago

Cats are over-rated as scorpion hunters. Mine are lazy beasts and to my knowledge have never gotten one. (Fortunately we don't have a lot, but I've been stung, and the cats couldn't care less)

• newtoucan
    8 years ago

I've looked into "hypo allergenic" cats and dogs and unfortunately there is no such thing. It's just a sales gimmick. The other thing I don't like about them is they stink. I've rarely been to a house that has them and I can't smell it. I think the owners must get used to the awful smell.

• shelleybonte
    8 years ago

I got stung about 30 hours ago by a small brown scorpion in the pinky finger. The pain was like a searing hot fire for about 24 hours. i iced it and took pain meds. Now the pain is gone, but the top third of my pinky finger is numb. I am afraid I won't get my feeling back. I called NV poison control, and they said the feeling will come back. I am crossing my fingers. I am also going out today to buy spray and spray around my house. I had been stung in the toe before, but this time the pain was more severe and I ended up with this numb finger.

• LeslieM peoria az
    8 years ago

When I got stung, it was like somebody stuck a toothpick into my foot and set it on fire, for about 24 hours. Then the pain got a lot better, but it was probably about 24 hours of just a weird tingly feeling. Then it was fine. I've never heard of anyone having permanent numbness, and living in the southwest, pretty much everyone gets stung at some point. You have a lot of nerves in your fingers, so you'll probably feel the effects there longer than in your foot. (BTW, icing it isn't supposed to be a good idea, for future reference. I think it causes the venom to stay in the same spot longer. That could be why you're still feeling numbness.)

• iandyaz
    8 years ago

You guys are making me want to move. I was getting into the shower the other night and a scorpion was crawling around on my hanging scrubber about 5 inches from my face. I was a few seconds away from grabbing it too. It was a little tan one but it was fast.. until I squashed it.

• shelleybonte
    8 years ago

Anybody have permanent numbness? I got stung by a light tan scorpion in Las Vegas in the pinky finger one week ago. The fingertip is completely nimb still. Will this subside?

• LeslieM peoria az
    8 years ago

Almost everyone I know (including myself) has been stung at least once, some multiple times. I don't know of anyone with permanent numbness. However, since it has lasted so long, maybe you should check with your doctor. Is it completely numb (no feeling at all), or pins & needles?

• shelleybonte
    8 years ago

Thank yoi for responding. It feels like Novacaine one gets at the dentist. It is the 8th day after the sting. Little by little it is improving. The pinky tip has the least feeling. I cleaned my garage, and bought a few jugs of scorpion spray. I don't plan on seeing another one of these in my house ever again. It was 36 hours of severe pain, and now going into the second week for recovery from numbness. Was not a bark scorpion. Little tan one.

• gardenerlorisc_ia
    8 years ago

OK, you guys are scaring me a little. I am looking at a little place in Mesa so I can get out of the cold a little bit. Are these things out and about in the winter time and do I have to worry about snakes, poisonous spiders and such?

I am not sure yet if I am more wimpy about snow and the cold than I would be about poisonous creepy crawlie things. hehe

• Fascist_Nation
    8 years ago

If you can't take the heat you should stay out of the kitchen.

• iandyaz
    8 years ago

I think it depends on where you live in AZ. If it's a relatively new development or out on the edges of town, you're more likely to see spiders/scorpions. I had never seen a scorpion when I lived in Tempe (for 20+ years). I've seen a bunch of them now, but I've never been stung. Even if they're in your area, they rarely come indoors.

• LeslieM peoria az
    8 years ago

Scorpions like wood piles, loose leaf litter and moisture. They eat other bugs, so anyplace that's bug friendly may have scorpions, so keep that away from your house, and you're less likely to get any inside. Unless you're in a rural area, or next to a golf course, you're not likely to run into snakes, either, and not all snakes are dangerous. There is a snake that looks almost identical to a diamond-back, it even makes a hissing sound that sounds like a rattlesnake, but it's harmless. We've had a couple of babies in our pool. Rattlesnakes have a triangle shaped head, and a blunt tail, whereas the other ones have a regular, small snake head and a pointy tail. You don't usually see snakes or scorpions during the colder months, but if it's unseasonably warm they may come out. If you see a snake, just leave it alone, it will leave. As far as spiders go, same thing applies as to scorpions. They're looking for a meal, so if there's no place for bugs to hide, they'll pretty much leave you alone, too. Sunburn, dehydration, and heatstroke are much more dangerous and common than snakes and arachnids. Never, ever leave your pets or kids in the car!

• haroldws
    8 years ago

Just ran across this thread. I've lived in AZ since 1959 and never been bitten by a scorpion. I got stung by a wasp once reaching into a vine to prune a dead branch, I am more careful now. since we do have lots of them because they like the pool for water to build their nests. When in and around the pool, we watch where they go after slurping up some water and later look for and spray their nest .

Since we moved into this new subdivision 17 years ago, which was formerly farmland, I've seen just one scorpion crawling across our patio soon after moving in. We've always had cats so don't know if they are taking care of them. They will bring us a lizard or snake to admire, but never a scorpion. (They don't bother birds since we have a really nasty mocking bird who owns the yard, so they leave all birds alone.) The only snakes we have are really pencil size tiny that sometimes end up in the pool skimmer. Never see them otherwise, wherever they are, but the cats know. Had loads of black widows when we lived in central Phoenix, but have not seen a one here. I wonder why? Do lizards eat them? We have a lot of lizards in spite of the cats.

• mail8433
    7 years ago

I was stung by what poison control told me was probably a bark scorpion.. because of the white hot pain and tingling sensations.. and no swelling. I was stung on the right ring finger, reaching underneath the sink cabinet in the kitchen for a roll of paper towels. I stuck the ring finger in the cardboard center... and put it on the top of a scorpion who promptly stung the hell out of me. I finally got to sleep at 0300 am the next morning, exhausted from the pain!Fast forward to today, one week later and my finger is 50% feeling and the other half is still numb! I am a little alarmed by this, but good to see that the recovery rate varies and I may have a ways to go yet! I have lived in Arizona for almost 40 years and this is my first .. and pray that it is the LAST... scorpion bite! My husband and I found the critter after I calmed down a bit.. and hubby killed it. Yay! Most of the time, my cats find them before I do and they are all resilient to stings. They play them to death and I have lived all this time in a scorpion free environment. I live on the outskirts of Tolleson in a housing development, but we are also close to agriculture. So, really, I am not surprised when I look at the big picture. But not being able to feel the tip of my finger on my right hand? Aggravating, annoying and a little scary!

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

Mail8433 ... yes, it can take several days or longer for the feeling to come back. \

Typically the longest duration numb spot will be right at the sting site.