Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Planting Ideas

Posted by splais Southern AZ (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 08 at 13:11

I have a bed 4' x 18' along the North wall of the house. the wall is pretty high and during Winter the bed is pretty much in shade all day except for morning sun on the East end. In Summer the sun is high enough that the bed gets sun. right now it has a 6-7 foot high 15 year old Juniper hedge growing in it. I want to rip it out and plant something new. The bed is at ground level but has a 4 brick high retaining wall around it right now, so I have to options: fill and raise the bed or plant at ground level. this bed has a 3 foot wide walk in front of it and a large area of synthetic lawn in front of that.

I am looking for some plant ideas that will have some bulk, some character, look neat, possible some flowering; and can handle the conditions as described above. Any ideas folks?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Planting Ideas

I have seen tall cape honey suckle (orange flowers) bushes against north wall, they look nice, do well in the kind of sun conditions you mentioned. Since your bed is 4 foot wide you can plant smaller flower bushes in front side. You might be better off filling the bed to 2-3 brick height or you can get flower bushes that grow tall and plant them at ground level inside bed.

o
RE: Looking for Planting Ideas

I have a similar situation. I put Photina and Cassia on my north facing wall. They will grow over 6 ft but can be trimmed back and are not fussy. Its a good place to have fun with annuals and bulbs, too. Another idea is to tier the bed so you have two levels and can then have some groundcover flowing over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here