Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant in odd shaded space?

Posted by silverchez 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 15:33

Hey all,

Another newbie question :) On the south side of our "yard" (which is really a side yard) we have a cinder block wall approx. 5-6 feet high. It casts a significant shadow, so the garden looks odd with that area bare, and the rest full of rosemary.

Our house/yard is North/South facing, so it has been challenging to find what to plant in this area which is shaded, but has access to the open sky.

Any suggestions? I'd really like to try something like a flower (lavender would be divine but I don't think it would work) or an edible, but am open to all suggestions.

Thanks all in advance! I have been learning so much from everyone here :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant in odd shaded space?

It's on the south side of the house, so does the wall face north?

Personally I'd be relucatant to plant anything that needs water right along the foundation of the house. (My husband forbids it but I don't need to admit that. ;-\ )

Is that a busy walkway? Is it tucked around an unused corner? I might just lay down some hi-grade astro turf and call it a day. Add some artwork to the wall.

Interested to hear what others suggest.

o
RE: What to plant in odd shaded space?

It's funny that you mention it, but the previous owners had this yucky tree/bush thing growing in that area. Once I yanked it out, I pulled out EASILY 5 feet of tree roots from under parts of the patio and along the rest of the flower bed.

With that being said, I am not too worried about planting close to the neighbors foundation, provided noone suggests any sort of tree ;)

As for the astroturf and mural...doesn't really fit with the backyard theme and I can't paint worth a crap :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here