Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklynnrose

Is this an incredibly stupid way to feed a tree?

sparklynnrose
13 years ago

Looking ahead to the annual Valentine's Day feeding, assuming nothing else freezes to death by then...

I have a large orange tree that's heavily mulched and watered by drip. I have been "meaning" to feed it for a year, but (despite a couple of queries here) I never quite figured out how to finangle it without having to totally de-mulch and make a huge mess. Even if I did, scratching in dry fertilizer and flooding the area seems imprecise and risky.

Recently this occurred to me:

1. Buy half a dozen of the $1 5-gallon buckets at HD or Lowe's and drill a bunch of small holes in the bottom.

2. Place the buckets around the tree, removing only the mulch necessary for them to rest on dirt.

3. Fill the first bucket most of the way with the hose, add the appropriate amount of soluble fertilizer, mix-mix-mix, and top off the bucket.

4. Repeat for the rest of the buckets.

The IDEA being, this will apply 30 gallons of water/fertilizer roughly evenly around the drip line and at a drip-ish rate. I can't think of any reasons why this shouldn't work. But it seems terribly simple and I've never seen it suggested anywhere, so I feel like I must be missing something. Anyone?

Comments (5)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

There is absolutely no reason why it would not work. Another way would be to buy one bucket and attach a drip line to it and run the drip line around the tree.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

I think it would work too. I also think you'll be surprised at how few holes you'll need to make in the buckets in order to have them emtpy out. I've made a couple of vacation waterers in the past out of similar buckets (with the plan that they would drip longer than what you're describing) and it's always surprising how quickly the water drains out, so I'd say test-drive with plain water and just a small hole or two and let us know what you do and how it works out.

You can always also try those fertilizer spikes and clear an area of mulch, hammer them into the soil, water and go, but they do need to be where there is frequent deep irrigation so placement might be an issue. I think your idea is a fun experiment--keep us posted!

Take care,
    Grant

• sparklynnrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I guess I'll give it a try. :)

Grant, you're right about the holes, of course -- I hadn't even thought of it, but GPH drippers have tiny holes, don't they! Obviously this system wouldn't have the same water pressure behind it, but even so, you're certainly correct that a couple small holes will do it. Especially because I do want it to drip, and not flood... feed the tree, not the mulch.

Thanks again.

• regehr
    13 years ago

It is actually a great way to fertilize. My neighbor does it with just 1 bucket all of the time for his palm trees and roses (I know it is 1 small hole in the bucket). I use a siphon device from Hozon. Make a concentrate in a 5 gallon bucket and hook up to a hose. It sucks it out of the bucket at a ratio of 16:1 and then I just put it down with a hose sprayer. I think it easier than continuously filling buckets and carrying them. I think my application rate is about 1 gallon for 12 seconds.

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Neat, keep us posted on what you do and how it works out. Hozon sounds cool too, I'll check that out.

Happy gardening everyone,
    Grant

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz